When did your baby start teething ? ?

I have a 3month old who has started drooling all over the place and drooling all over her hands and clothes... my mom said that she's probably going to start teething soon ...is this true ??? does it happen this early ?

1baby2009

Asked by 1baby2009 at 6:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I thought my DD was teething when she started drooling all over the place. It's been a month and we've yet to see any teeth poking through. But the dr did say that they can feel the pressure of the teeth starting to come through. DD was 3 months old when she started drooling a lot, so right about the same age as yours is.
    The visiting nurse did recommend not using teething gel though, because it numbs their mouths, and if they're chewing on their tongues or fingers, they can't feel how hard they're biting down. She recommended teething tablets instead.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 6:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Teething symptoms can start a few months before teeth actually emerge. My son started teething at 2 months and didn't get teeth until almost 6 months. My daughter started the massive drool-fest and chewing on everything in sight at about 3 months, and no teeth yet at 5 months. So it very well could be teething, even if you don't see teeth anytime soon (average age for first teeth is about 6 months, though it varies greatly). As long as your baby's not fussy or irritable, there's no reason to worry about it at all or give her any kind of medicine; let her chew on anything she wants (that's safe, of course), wipe the drool away if it bothers you, and hope you don't find her first tooth by her biting you. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Lots of drooling is normal and doesn't necessarily mean they are teething. That said, my son got his first two teeth at 4 months and my daughter at 3 months. A good way to tell if they are getting teeth is to feel their gums. If you feel teeth then you know. It's unmistakable. You can also look for white spots on their gums, but you wouldn't know what to look for really unless you've seen it before.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 12:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2009