How do you know what "handed" a child is? Handing her something isn't working.

This is my second child, you'd think I'd have this one. Treasure started using a fork for about a month then wouldn't use it again. I thought it was just easier to use her hands, but I think I was trying to make her use the wrong hand. Here's the thing, she uses both hands pretty much equally. If I hand her something it's a 50/50 toss up. Same thing with putting her foot forward or rolling over - she doesn't seem to be any sided. I usually start with my right foot, roll to my right side if on my back. But with Treasure it's really 50/50. Usually right handed means right footed or right sided, but she is one odd duck! She is 27 months, I think we should know by now - don't you?

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 6:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope, I don't think so.  You will eventually know and she might be able to write and do things with both hands all of her life.  There is a name for it but I can't remember it. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• am·bi·dex·trous that is the name for it, lol. It was going to bother me until I found it, lol.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• It's called Ambidextrous, which I am, but not to this extent. I can write well with both hands, but I still write better with my right hand. I am right sided. I wonder if she is just more Ambidextrous?
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 6:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Oh okay, lol.  I was really trying to figure out that word, lol.  Well, my grandmother could do it and her youngest could also but he could do more than she could too so I would say thats a good possibility. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Actually it may take a bit longer for her to figure it out. Instead of handing her something on a specific side, just set it in front of her and let her choose. DS didn't choose a hand until about 2 months ago and he is 3 1/2. My oldest was about 3, and dd was about 3 or so, so I really think some children just take longer to figure it out for themselves.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 6:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Pepie, did they use a fork or spoon before this? Treas, isn't using a fork at all at this point or a spoon, I'm thinking of handing her a butter knife and see what she does. LOL Did they switch off? AHHHHH I'm so confused LOL
    My husband said the same thing, Treasure probably doesn't know herself. It's just hard for me to fathom, she can read and spell 6 and 7 letter words, but she can't figure out what hand she wants to use! Do you see my confusion?
    Katrina, thank you. Maybe she's just better at this than I am.
    Maybe I'm just asking the wrong question. It just seems like by NOW 27 months a fork would be almost old hat. All of her little friends use a fork and spoon rather well. My oldest was using one by now - for pete sake she can SPELL fork LOL UGH! I know, I know ALL CHILDREN ARE DIFFERENT LOL. I guess if I can laugh at it, everything will turn out alright.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Albert Einstein couldn't tie his shoes. Perhaps she's gifted enough not to get the "small stuff", but gets more advanced things. Wait it out, don't push, let her lead. As long as she eats, right?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• doodle, GOOD POINT!
    Usually when I ask questions here, I get bashed to death.

Everyone thank you, I'm feeling much better.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I've read that handedness isn't really determined until they're about 4. So, just wait and see. =)
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 8:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• i have heard that you won't know until the time they start writing. but my son always seems to use his right hand when eating and writing. i suppose it depends on the kid :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2009