Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why can't babies under 1year old have hunney?

Answer Question
 
HisBabyMama23

Asked by HisBabyMama23 at 6:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • It can cause them to get botulism.
    K_Sawyer

    Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • K sawyer is right.
    Petie

    Answer by Petie at 6:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • also because it is so thick it can suffocate them.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Honey is a natural product...its collected and taken through a brief process that cleanses it of physical debris.

    But its not pasturized.( I'm not sure if you know what pasturization is, but basically its where a food product is heated to a very high temperature to kill bacterias and pathogens that can cause people to become very sick or even kill them). One of the things honey can contain is a mold called botulism. Botulism causes food poisoning. (This mold is also the reason you should never purchase canned foods where the cans are dented or bulging. Botulism gives off gasses that causes the cans physical structure to change).

    For adults, it can be serious and even fatal. For an infant with an immature immune system...well, you get the point.

    So. That's why, in short, you should NEVER give honey to infants under 1 years of age.
    .Peaches.

    Answer by .Peaches. at 9:03 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Pefect answer Peaches!
    littleredpony

    Answer by littleredpony at 9:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • thank you guys so much for helping me!!!!!
    HisBabyMama23

    Answer by HisBabyMama23 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.