How do I get my son to listen?

My son is 18 months and doesn't listen to anything I say. He will listen to his dad and some other members of our family but the minute I tell him no or to do something he does the opposite. How can I get him to listen to me?

Kayla21543

Asked by Kayla21543 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Follow through. He is still a baby. So, instead of saying, "Billy, come here" and staying where you are, as you are saying "come here" you are reaching out and taking his hand to make him come to you. As you say, "Billy, do not touch that" you are taking his hand and removing it from what he is touching. He just has to learn that you will make him do what you are saying so he may as well just do it. Consequences are good too..."Billy, I told you to sit down. Now we have to leave cause you want to stand" or whatever the situation may be. It's abou follow through.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 6:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• i agree! it comes with time, don't take it personally, your his comfort zone but discipline will eventually be taught
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 7:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Without Spanking or Spoiling by Elizabeth Crary is a great book.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2009