$180 WATER BILL!!!

So we got our water bill today and this was it. WWWHHHATTTT!!! OK, so dh immediately went over and checked the water thingy and sure enough, we had a leak, a HUGE LEAK!! I mean, dh and my brother went digging up the back yard and when they found it it was just spewing out of the pipe. So we have it fixed. DH calls the water company. They say that we will have another high one next month because of the way they charge, that we have had this leak for 2 months. DH asked why they didn't you know, maybe let us know that we had used almost $200 last time the meter reader checked. She said it isn't their job. But, see, we used to have a 30,000 gallon pool that we filled, and it only cost us $55 for that. So don't you think they should have at least been curious as to how we used $180 of water in one month? Am I nuts or shouldn't they take at least a teeny bit of responsibility in letting us know something like that?

Petie

Asked by Petie at 7:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We had pipe bust last year and this same thing happened to us.  If you rent and the water bill is in your name, you can put it on the landlord because it's their responsibility.  Can't do that when your a home owner.  ERGGGGGGGGGGG, we were pissed!  Yes they should have some kind of forewarning thing happening so that the bill doesn't go through the roof!  RIDICULOUS!

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Nope it is not there responsibility to ensure YOUR property is in proper working order. That is YOUR responsibility.
    They have far to many customers to keep track of to wonder why your bill is high. It sucks for sure, but it isn't up to them it is up to you.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• our local utility company would of informed us if we had that high of a bill but we also live in a small town we everyone knows everyone personally
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 7:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• The Water company does not care if your water bill is high. They do care if you do not pay it though. Just like the Electric company and the Gas company do not care either.

We just bought a new house and we just got sod put in. We had to water the grass every day for a month. We had a $150 water bill. But we knew it was going to be high though.

Answer by louise2 at 7:24 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Actually that doesn't sound so bad.

When we first moved here, we paid $80 for 5 days of water use. With no leaks.

Our first full month was nearly $200. We reduced our water usage greatly and now our bills are about $100 per month.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• No it's not their job. If they did contact you about it, you could say "I can use as much damn water as I want. I can spray it up in the air and waste it if I want." It's not their job to monitor usage, they just want you to pay for what you use.
    If your electric bill goes up, would you want them chasing you around your house making sure you shut the lights off when you leave a room?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Why would they let you know you are running up a higher bill.....more money for them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• See, now, if I go and buy a washer and dryer and have a $900 withdraw on a credit card, they call to make sure that I know that $900 was withdrawn. It is out of the ordinary for my account, so they have the courtesy to call me so that if there is an issue, I now know about it. And my credit card has WAAAAY more customers than our water company has. And yes, if my Electric bill jumped up, I would want a call. In our previous home we had that happen one summer, turns out our unit was messed up and pulling more electric than it should and our bill was upwards of $600. They called to make sure we knew there might be an issue. That's the thing, we didn't KNOW there was a problem because the leak was underground, the first and ONLY sign was that our bill was so high. I just think it would have been nice had someone said, "hey, did you know?" type of thing.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 7:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Wow, that's a kick in the pants. I would be really ticked off if that happened to us, too! And here I was angry that our bill went up $20 in one month to $79!!!
    I hope your water bill comes WAY down once the pipe is fixed and the high usage bills are paid.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2009