My son is 1 1/2 & he has always done everything early, but he WILL NOT go potty in the potty chair. He has all the concepts he just wont do it. What can I do. I have tried everything. Please HELP!

He knows where what comes out, he can say what they are and what comes out of them. He knows he pee pee's in the potty, well he says water but none the less, he knows. I will sit him on there but he will get off sit in the floor and pee in the floor. I've tried cheerios, I tried putting his potty in the living room, so he could be in there with us. I don't know what else to do? Do you have any pointers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Um, the more you push the issue, the more he will rebel. You can't force a child of that age to understand what the heck you want him to do. You are trained, not him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• givehim a break and more time... he's just a baby!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 7:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• yes stop trying and wait a few more months hes not ready. Just because he kind of gets the concept doesnt mean hes truly ready boys are hard and typically dont get trained till about 2. Take it easy hes only a year and half. Dont force something hes not ready to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• He is way too young in my opinion to even be trying. He may be able to repeat to you what he has been told. There is a big difference in being able to say it and having the muscle control to DO it. I would leave the potty out because you have started it. But I would back way, way, way off. Even 2 is too earlier for some boys especially.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Time. I didn't even try potty training my kids until they were about 3. Does he wake up dry? Can he dress and undress himself? Those are two big ones. If he isn't doing those two then don't push it. I wish mine were ready earlier, but they were no where close. And what's funny is my least advanced child trained earliest. My most advanced (he is considered gifted now that he is in school) potty trained latest.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 7:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• i agree with the others, time
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• WOW slow down girl hes only a baby still. Like another post said just cause he repeats back what hes been told doesnt mean he understands. He needs to be waking up dry from naps and able to get his own pants up and down im sure he cant do that yet. Boys take time and really i wouldnt start till he was about 2 and half. He doesnt have the controle yet for that.
    RykersMom04

Answer by RykersMom04 at 7:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I'm with the others, I think he is way too young. Give it time.

My daughter was trained at 3 and it only took about a week.

My 2 year old gets the concept, and loves to sit on his potty, but I know he's not ready yet. I'm waiting and giving him time

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Your son is very young. Does he go long periods of time during the day without needing a change? Does he wake up dry from a nap? If yes to both of those questions, then he may be ready. Potty training is hard when you think a child is ready and s/he is not.

My absolutely gifted, do everything early kids did not train until at least 2.5 yrs. They had the signs. It was still work. Remember the phrase "you can lead a horse to water but cannot make it drink"? this is your situation.

Relax. Don't bring it up for a while. See where it goes, so to speak. Changing diapers in no fun, but having to either stay in because you are always training or need to bring 15 changes of clothing for a 2 hour trip to the mall is worse. Trust me, I had 2 under 2, I know about changing diapers.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• he is YOUNG relax and let him be a baby and dont push the issue!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009