How can i minimize my daughter's spit-ups?

my 2 month old daughter has acid reflux and is on the medication Zantac...i recently starting putting some rice cereal in her morning bottle to thicken it up to try to keep the spit-ups down and to a minimum. the problem that is sometimes the reflux comes up through her nose and she goes stiff as a board and can't breath for a few seconds which panics both her and I..i try to sit her up slightly without crunching her belly after she eats so she can digest..and i dont lay her down right away either. i feel like she is a piece of glass and i never wanna move her cause she spits up so easy...she is on her 3rd formula and besides the spit-ups, she's great on it...i know babies spit up to some extent but she has excess....i go through at least 4 bibs and burp cloths a day which i dont mind but there has to be some relief for her????

MandEm715

Asked by MandEm715 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Seriously, this is not normal. You need to consult a Dr. about formula changing. I would also NOT feed her cereal until she is thoroughly examined.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Have you tried soy? maybe shes got a milk allergie? or even a soy allergie if you have tried soy? the medication for acid reflux should work so if shes still spitting up like that id have her tested for allergies.
    If you havnt tried soy try that. Your next step would be like i said to have tested for allergies to milk and soy. My newphew did the same thing and they discovered he had a milk and soy allergie so they had to put him on goats milk....he is so much better he never spits anymore.
    RykersMom04

Answer by RykersMom04 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Have you tried feeding her less more often? So she will not be as full. Do you burp her after every feeding?

Answer by louise2 at 7:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• As well as the other suggestions you can give 1ml of Mylanta before each feeding to help coat her tummy. It is completely safe. I would also consult your dr about changing her medicine to prevacid. We had reflux really bad as well. Make sure she is in an upright position after feeding and make sure that her sleeping surface is slightly elevated. Good luck. Oh and by the way if it isn't bothering her then it shouldn't bother you especially if she is gaining weight properly.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• try feeding her a once burp her then feed her some more.my little one spit up often to, i just burped her befor her feeding was over and of course after words too.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Relactate?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My daughter just had a Very bad allergic reation to Zantac now she not taking anything and seems to be doing fine. enfamil has a formula that thickins in the stomach to reduce spit up. u can try that . My lil girl is on soy which is thick and helps w/ reduce spitup
    Mrs2009

Answer by Mrs2009 at 8:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• u sound like u are talking about my baby ..lol she is 6 weeks and has the same issue, but like i said she is doing much better, I cant stand it when it comes thru the nose , I feel so helpless, my doc says its normal , it sucks big time. Hang in there u are not alone
    Mrs2009

Answer by Mrs2009 at 8:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• ty all!! she was actually on soy and it made her spit-ups worse and bothersome...the dr, ruled out a milk allergy...the zantac works well for her and neutralizes the burning...it's not supposed to ELIMINATE the spit-ups but help with the burn...she had a full examination last week and the dr. was very happy being is she's growing and gaining and overall a very happy baby...i just got off the phone with the dr. and she said to give her rice cereal in the bottle maybe 3 times a day so it will be thicker in her tummy and she will hold it down....she takes 4 1/2 oz of formula now and i burp her after every 2 oz to help that way too,.....and she burps in between feedings too!!
    MandEm715

Answer by MandEm715 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My first DD had reflux REALLY bad...I mean, if she ate 5 ounces, most of it was coming back up. We went through onsies and burp clothes like you wouldn't believe.
    Her pediatrican wanted to put her on medication, but I didn't do it...the spitting up didn't seem to upset her (unless it came out of her nose, which it did sometimes), and she was gaining weight just fine.

Her pediatrican also had us try a formula that had rice starch in it. Worst. Idea. EVER. That crap upset her tummy so bad, I just stopped using it. I switched to soy formula (I was also breastfeeding)...soy didn't help her spitting up lessen, but it made me feel better lol.

Some babies just are spitter-uppers and there really isn't much you can do to help them. Unless it seems to be painful for her when she spits up (with the exception of it coming out of her nose...I mean, that would upset anyone lol), I wouldn't worry about it.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2009