Is it tacky/wrong/weird to throw your own baby shower?

I was talking to a friend of mine and she asked me if I was going to have a baby shower. I told her no, I don't think so and that I have never had a baby shower before and have never been to one so I wouldn't even know what to do or expect. She was so shocked that this is my third child and I have never had a baby shower. So she also asked me if I had at least gotten a gift of some sort. I told her no, we have never gotten anything and have bought everything ourselves in the past when we could afford it. She says everyone deserves at least one baby shower and says that if no one throws one for me (which is likely that no one will since we are military and have no family or hardly any friends) that I should have one for myself. I told her I thought it was a little weird to have a baby shower for yourself but she says it isn't. So what do you think, is having/throwing a baby shower for yourself tacky, wrong, weird?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Im in the same situation now. my friends threw me my first one and my family did another but this time, me my sister in law and mother in law are throwing it. I feel awkward but Ive got the food put together for it and the place and invites done.
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 7:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Personally, I think it is tacky. My bigger question is what kind of 'friend" is the one you were talking to aboput this. She was shocked you had never had one and couldn't even off to throw one..or that you work together to throw one. Guess its a PMS day or something because that just hits me wrong.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• i think its kind of weird to throw your own shower why doesnt she throw you a shower? If shes that worried about you never having a baby shower she should be willing to throw you one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• why is it weird you just gave your reason,i hope everyone comes and you get lots of gifts.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• BTW..having the shower in your home is no biggie. Even you helping to do it is no biggie. Just don't list yourself as a hostess.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Ok, so I'm not the only one who thinks it is wrong to throw your own shower, good. I have heard of helping set up your own shower but never actually "hosting" it. I always thought it wasn't something that I could do with out and if I had someone who wanted to do one for me then great. The friend I was talking to says that where she is from everyone hosts/plans/throws their own baby showers. And she keeps telling me I should but I just don't feel its right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I think it is wrong!! It really bothers me that people feel entitled and it seems alittle greedy to me :( I do not think there is anything wrong with having one thrown for you, but it should be a surprise!! So I agree with you I guess!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 7:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I think its tacky. As others said, its one thing to help with it but being hostess is tacky...IMO its like begging for stuff.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 8:20 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If you don't have any family/friends around who would go to the shower anyways? Sorry I'm not trying to sound mean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• No thats so tacky "Please give me gifts" it's very low class to do that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Sep. 27, 2009