Need extra calories!!!

We went for our 15 mo check up and weighed the same as our 12 mos check up. I am not concerned about the fact that we haven't gained any weight I am concerned about running into a caloric deficit. I know she is very busy and very active. I just want to make sure that she doesn't start to lose weight. I am looking for advice on a way to get extra calories into her w/o having to constantly use Pediasure or Boost (I think that they are too sweet). She eats 3 really good meals a day as well as snacks in between meals. We don't like to give sweets or junk. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

coala

Asked by coala at 7:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OP here: We weighed in at 16 lbs 5 oz and 27 3/4 inches tall. So we are in the short side
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Home-made pizza with a whole wheat crust is a healthy choice with many alternatives. Grilled sandwiches can also have many options with ham and cheese, or grilled tomatoes and chicken with a white cheese. Casseroles are an easy dish. Macaroni and cheese can have turkey-dogs added. It isn't just a question of how many calories but where they come from. Making sure you use the full health pyramid is the biggest priority.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• We give her a great variety of food. She has Oatmeal and yogurt for breakfast, and has mac and cheese with veggies and lunch meat for lunch and she has what we are having for dinner. She snacks on gerber puffs and cheerios as well as fruit.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My dd did the same thing. She was 19lb at 1 yr and at her 15 mo check up she was down to a little under 18 lbs. She was 18lbs at 17 mo still ( she weighed over 10lbs at birth) The pedi kept having me come back for weight-checks, wich I think are rediculus because she was obviously very healthy just tiny. We didnt really do anything special and by her 2yr check-up she was up to 22lbs! They stopped bothering us after that. She is going to be 4 in 2mo and she is just 30lbs and 39inches now!! Dont worry so much some kids are just small.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 7:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You have reason to be concerned. We are going through the same thing with my grandson. We know why. He has a primary immune deficiency disease. Failure to gain grow well is one of the 10 warning signs of primary immune deficiency diseases. You may want to go to google to check out the 10 signs. If a child has any 2 of the signs they should be evaluated for immune deficiencies. My grandson weighs18 pounds and is 12 months.

The diagnosis was not a surprise. I have immune deficiencies and all three of my sons do. We may be the only family in the country that has a parent and all 3 children with the same disease, CVID. Now my only grandson has also been diagnosed.

We had the most problems with weight and doctors with my youngest and he was bigger than your daughter. If your daughter doesn't grow or does loose they could hospitalize her and try to put a feeding tube in. I'm afraif of that happening with my grandson.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• We feed my grandson lots of meat, high in fat. We add butter to things that butter can be added to like sweet potatoes. You can also add olive oil.

He is breastfed and he sleeps next to his mother and she encourages him to nurse as often as he wants at night.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• What kind of milk is he drinking? Make sure it is whole milk or the equivalent (often times, 1 or 2% can be just as satisfying without the calories). Also, get some more healthy type juices to add calories. Orange, Papaya and pineapple juice, apricot nectar, mango juice and vegetable juice are the best options in terms of vitamins, etc. (as opposed to grape and apple). Full Fat yogurt, cheeses and meat are also good options.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• We have to use 2% milk or she vomits up whole milk. It's not that she isn't growing because she is. Her pedi isn't worried. I am worried that we will not take in enough calories in a day to satisfy our needs to not loose weight. My LO is happy, healthy and just got over her 3rd cold. We use full fat everything when we feed her and always have. I was just wondering if there was anything else besides having to use juice straight and Pediasure and Boost. Thanks for all your help ladies.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:45 AM on Sep. 27, 2009