disciplining a 3 year old

how can I discipline a preschooler when nothing works? I have tried everything from timeouts to spankings, taking toys reward for good behavior. nothing works. I am thinking about talking to dh about ignoring the bad and commenting on the good. my concern with this is that I don't want him to think he can get away with what he does. also dh gets really upset over his behavior and lectures. now don't get me wrong dh does great things with him when ds is good, but ds is naughty all the time! it seems like we spend most of our time lecturing him because of his behavior.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Without Spanking or Spoiling by Elizabeth Crary is an excellent book.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• love and logic magic
    go get this book!
    newmamanew2town

Answer by newmamanew2town at 7:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• SHEPHERDING A CHILD'S HEART by Tedd Tripp is the best book I've ever read for dealing with problems like you are having.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You haven't really said what your son is doing to have bad behavior. What is he doing???? On the norm most pre-schoolers or are eagar to learn so, maybe he would like mommy and daddy time. Now if he is showing out in the public, I broke my son fast by leaving the store with a full cart. I told him in the car that we had things that we need at home. I made it a point that we will return back into the store and he will not get one thing..... My time outs are in a corner and he will stay for one mintue for his age meaning 4 mintues.... I will tell him what he has done bad and why he is in the corner. My son is a good boy , but I'm also a stay at home mom and he has my time all day long. I'm not sure if you work or not. working and having a pre-schooler..... You are rushed cooking, cleaning, and so forth. All kids are different! LOL.... I wish you luck.... try alot of humor....
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 8:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I too am a SAHM but I have a fiance I have been with for 14 months, and a two month old dd. this is what started everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• 2nd for love and logic.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• 1-2-3 It's Magic. HIGHLY recommended.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Well I must say I think it depends how much attention the DS is getting, I mean maybe his behavior is he feels he isn't getting enough one on one... Children have a tendency of acting out when they want something but yet cannot say what they want. I agree with others, try reading some books, because they can give you some tools to work with based on what you do or do not provide for your DS and what you can do to improve areas.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 2:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• instead of timeouts and spanking, try a reward chart, every time he does something good put a star on his chart and if he gets 5 star he gets a new toy, or something like that
    got2boys

Answer by got2boys at 6:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2009