Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can the father of my daughter get full custody of her?

Hello, my name is Tara. My daughter is 5 years old and my ex-boyfriend ,jon is trying to get full custody of Rilee, who is 5 years old and in Kindergarten. Ever since i went for support, he went to try and get custody of her. It really has me depressed and i just want to hear some advice , please i need it.


Answer Question

Asked by Tbiscoe24 at 7:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (19)
  • He has to prove you unfit first. If you are a fit mother all the judge will grant him is visitation. I wish you luck.

    Answer by coala at 7:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Do you have a lawyer? What does your lawyer say? Each state does things differently.

    Answer by Gailll at 7:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Unfortunately once you go for child support the courts automatically give father's rights to the child so he could get custody unless they see he is unfit. Hopefully he won't if he does attempt to get her but he will have visitation rights. Sorry to give you bad news but that's the system.. Good Luck ..

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • yes, it's really really hard for the father to get custody over the mother. the mother would have to be very bad for the judge to rule against her. don't worry about it

    Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Has he had any kind of relationship with her before this? Has he been regularly visiting her and establishing his role as dad, or just going for custody since you went for support? The judges look at what is in the best interest of the child, and if dad hasnt been in the picture, then odds are he wont get custody, but a visitation schedule will or should be put into place. Either way, at minimum, dad should have a visitation schedule. If he has been playing a part, odds are he wouldnt get custody either, unless you were in some way unfit(doubtful and hard to prove in places) and still, visitation in place. All should be fine Momma, dont worry too much unless you have something in the closet to worry about

    Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 7:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • it really depends on the situation, hard to give advice with little info.
    good luck

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • The judge isn't going to grant him custody over nothing.  You have to be unfit.  Don't worry about it, he just doesn't want to pay child support.  Word of advice?  Be on your toes.  Make sure you are being the best mother you can be.  Make sure your house is spotless incase he tries to call CPS on you.  Stay on your Ps and Qs and you'll be fine babe.   Good luck!


    Answer by Katrina3016 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • You don't have to be unfit in all states

    Answer by Gailll at 7:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Here is a site you can go to for your state. You can ask anything you want and get answers regarding laws in your state.


    Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • I don't want to be the bubble burster here but she does not have to be 'unfit' to lose sole custody. If there has never been any custody arrangement legally all he has to do is tell the judge you ran off, or you refused to let him see his child. If you can't prove you otherwise it looks really bad. This is not the 60's and 70's anymore. Moms do not automatically get custody. More and more states are preferring joint custody than ever before. There are three guys my husband works with and all three got custody of the kids. All the Moms worked and there was no adultery going one. The guys just had better lawyers and convinced the judge they were the best choice and could provide the best life for the child(ren). Your best hope is if he has never sought a relationship with her. He has no contact with her and his desire for custody ONLY emerged when he was taken to court for custody. If that is the case you have a great chance.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.