FICA??

Oh DH's paycheck (mine as well), there is FICA, Medicaid, and State taxes that are withheld. However, I do not see on his paychecks where federal income tax is being withheld. I have asked several people and he has asked payroll at his place of employment..and they all say that FICA is the federal taxes. I just googled it and from what I've read FICA is social security taxes.

I cannot remember from previous year's paychecks if FICA was the only thing (other than medicaid and state tax) listed on the paychecks. I vaguely remember when I've filed taxes in previous years that the "medicaid" and the "federal withholding" were always the same amount....

Does anyone know if FICA is also federal income tax or if it's JUST social security?

laksmommy

Asked by laksmommy at 7:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• It depends, It's true FICA is SS but on my husbands check the SS is called FedOASDI/EE. (Federal Old Age Disability Insurance Employee Employment Tax) I believe it is 6.2% of your gross
    Federal taxes are called Fed Withholding and Medicare tax is FedMED/EE which is always a smaller amount. There is no reason any of them should be the same amount.
    I suppose yours could be included in your FICA? Check you r FICA and see if it is 6.2% of your gross to see if it is just SS or if Fed withholding is added to it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• "The Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) tax (pronounced /ˈfаɪkÉ™/) is a United States payroll (or employment) tax[1] imposed by the federal government on both employees and employers to fund Social Security and Medicare[2] —federal programs that provide benefits for retirees, the disabled, and children of deceased workers. Social Security benefits include old-age, survivors, and disability insurance (OASDI); Medicare provides hospital insurance benefits."

Are you sure it says Medicaid? Are you or he on Medicaid? I got to thinking and you are not charged for Medicaid, only Medicare.
    Says here FICA is SS and Medicare together. Maybe your company does it differently? There is a certain percentage for each of these so if you can those out you may figure our whats what.
    1.SS - 6.2% of gross up to $106,800
    2.Medicare-1.45% of gross
    3.Withholding depends on your salary and dependants claimed
    4.Your State Taxe
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Your husband can ask HR/Payroll for a report detailing the breakdown of his withholdings for the year.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• DH has talked to payroll and he says that they've told him FICA is his federal. As far as the medicaid- I did mean medicare. I don't have a current check stub of his otherwise I'd look at it and figure all that out..and I can't seem to locate my last year's income tax info...he's really bad about putting thing somewhere we won't lose them...and always end up losing them.

I just couldn't imagine why fed taxes aren't being taken out of him this year as they were last year and he hasn't filed any tax related paperwork other than his new hire paperwork. Since he works graves, he doesn't have much of an opportunity to talk to anyone...but I'll ask him to stay after tomorrow to see what's going on..because there should be NO reason what-so-ever for fed taxes to not be taken out.

I don't have any fed taken out of mine because I don't think I make enough- I work part time...and I pull maybe $200 every two weeks, if I'm lucky.
    laksmommy

Answer by laksmommy at 6:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2009