How can I get my preemies to sleep during the night ?

My twin girls were born at 29weeks and just got out of the NICU Sept 16th. The nurses use to take pics of them on the night shift and my girls are up from 11pm-7am usually. They sleep great during the day. up to five hours almost. Any suggestions besides coffee and time?

diggsjf9

Asked by diggsjf9 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My only recomendation would be swith your sleep schedule to fit theirs! Once they're about six months or so I would try to start getting them to sleep though the night slowly. My little brother was a premie by four weeks and my moms said it took him a long time to get him on any kind of schedule. So be patient!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• It seems that they've got their days and nights mixed up, which is what happened to 2 of my 3 daughters.

I just recently got my 1 month old on the right schedule...because she would sleep alllll day and be up allll night. So, I started keeping her up during the day. It only took 3 days for her to get it right, but I wouldn't let her sleep longer than 2 hours. I kept her up for at least 2. I didn't give her a full feeding, just half so she'd stay awake.

Some babies just never develop a schedule (like my middle DD). She was all over the place. My first DD was a dream...she put herself on a schedule...I never had to.

I'm not sure if you can do that (with the feedings), being that you have preemies, but my DD was born at 35 weeks and considered preemie.

But that's my suggestion.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2009