How does child support work?

My husband and I just split after 6 years :( I would tell you why but I don't want to air my dirty laundry on the internet. We have 3 kids together and I am 3mo pregnant with our 4th. I was a stay at home mom and he was a full time student and worked part time. When he was home he was makeing 1,100 a month, but he has now quit going to school and working full time (i think) so I think he is makeing about 1,500 now. How much money do you all think he will have to give me?

Adelle

Asked by Adelle at 7:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• You can probably find out. Go to google and see if your state has a child support calculator.

You may not be able to file for divorce until after the baby is born. That means while you are pregnant he would probably have to pay your house payment or rent, utilities, car payment, credit cards, and have to give you some money. You would be able to apply for WIC and Food Stamps. After the baby is born this arrangement continues until one of you files for divorce and there is a hearing.

That's how it worked in Indiana.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:02 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Depends on the state and the number of kids. For one, I know it's 20% (in IL) of his GROSS pay. And it goes up from there. Also, I'd imagine you'd be eligible for alimony since you were a SAHM and he worked.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Most states won't give you alimony anymore and before you usually had to be married for at least 10 years, even if you are a SAHM. Call an attorney. They will answer your questions for free and they know your state laws.
    You won't be getting much, so you're going to want to start planning ahead. You will be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You have to check your state statutes about alimony. There is usually some stipulations on that but you can google a child support calculator for your state. Keep in mind that if you have income they will consider that as well and possibly reduce the amount he has to pay

Answer by admckenzie at 9:02 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If it's anything like child support system in Missouri it sucks. Me & my ex split after 2 kids & 4 years together. I literally gave them his full name, address, phone #'s & even social security #.......didn't hear anything for 3 months. Called to find out what was going on & they said "oh we closed the case because we couldn't get ahold of him" which is complete crap....and at least let me know what's going on they didn't even send me a letter! Then they told me they would serve him @ work.......3 weeks have gone by, he works the night shift and apprently they don't serve people at night. So they just gave up & said I can't get anything unless they serve him. So I'm Freakin' stuck with no money from the douche bag and the state unwilling to help. But telling me that I don't qualify for any govt assistance either. It blows.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 9:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Call a lawyer. They will answer your questions for free and they will know the laws in your state. Talking with a lawyer might ease some of your worries too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Never heard of most states not giving alimony anymore....not at all...

The state I am from, just about anyone gets alimony.

My fiance was married 6 years and has to pay 3 years of alimony.
    If I was in your shoes I would either
    A. go to a mediator
    B. get a lawyer
    There are many things besides childsupport that come in play with a divorce when children are involved.
    There is health insurance, life insurance, parenting time, holidays, birthdays, extra activites, assets, debts this list goes on and on.

On on line and educate yourself. Speak to people that have already been down the road that you
    are headed.
    good luck
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2009