"Conservatives": How are we supposed to run a worldwide empire with a limited government and fiscal restraint?

There are 192 countries in the world. The United States has a presence in 135 of them. Many (not all) so-called "conservatives"--including most of the well-known radio and TV personalities--justify and support the ongoing wars and the obscenely bloated military budget, yet claim to be for "small" or "limited" government and fiscal responsibility. How exactly can it be possible to run a global empire with presence in over 70% of the countries on earth with a "small" or "limited" government?

lori9878

Asked by lori9878 at 7:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm still waiting for someone--anyone--who defends our military budget as it is (some even feeling the need to belittle me or make ignorant assumptions about my political views)...to explain to me why they feel we need military presence in 135 countries, over 70% of the countries in the world--while we can't even afford decent equipment for our combat troops, safe housing for our military families, and pay that's high enough to keep our lower-enlisted families off of food stamps.

Is there anyone who can logically defend their position, or is everyone just throwing blind support behind the government in this area simply because it involves the uniform?

...which leads me to my original question....how can people who claim to be "conservative" support wasteful, unnecessary and over-extended military presence AND also claim to advocate small government and responsible fiscal policy?

lori9878

Answer by lori9878 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Please explain how the military budget is 'Obscenely bloated'.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 8:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• And please explain how we run a "global empire"
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• PNAC has successfully spread their message...by appealing to people's FEARS . Sad , Sad and very sad.

The Military Industrial Complex is destroying America
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• What makes you think we want to continue having American bases and a military presence all over the world?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• True, Swet-a-kins.
    ANd yes,I believe the military budget is bloated and we should be out of the middle east. I am very disappointed that our troops have not come home. Personally, I think we need our own energy--windpower, solar panels, electric cars,etc. so we do not have to go to war to grab onto the oil in the middle east. I hate war,especially when our troops are dying for all the wrong reasons.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I have no idea what that acronym even stands for Sweet I'll google it in a little while, but right now I'm still waiting for explanations on how the military is obscenely over budgeted and destroying America.

BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 8:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yes,Bluecollar,I would like to know how the military is destroying America as well. Sweet is sounding like sarahconner a bit. If we were going to attack a country for oil Canada would have been much easier.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Ya'll need to spend some time on a Marine base. My first house at Camp Lejeune was in 2003. It was remodeled last just before VIETNAM! Asbestos insolation, lead paint under the new paint, some even still used lead piping.

My husband's company had to take burned out shells of Humvees that had been destroyed in Iraq and completely rebuild these things themselves with parts off other totaled trucks, incuding the armor. So please, I would really like a breakdown of where this obscene amount of money ya'll are complaining about it going.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 8:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I'm with Mancos... Why do you assume we are following radio personalities? Do you follow everything Olbermann says? Better yet do you follow all of Pelosis words? After all your side voted HER in
    ..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2009