when will i get my sanity back?

ok i have a 1month old, shes pretty good sleeper...she sleeps about 3-4 hours at a time...but my questioon is when will she start sleeping about 8 hours at a time? and i know every baby is different just wondering the average time

dilemma1

Asked by dilemma1 at 8:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That is really good for a one month old! My 4 year old did not sleep thru the night till she was 14 months. My 13 yr old slept thru at 4 months. I feel you're pain- I'm currently pregnant with my third and I am already dreading the sleep deprivation. I pray this one is a good sleeper!
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 8:20 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• my daughter slept 8 hours at 6 weeks old!!! hasnt stopped since and shes almost 14 months old
    ashtynsmom730

Answer by ashtynsmom730 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• hehe, mine is 4.5 mos and sleeps 12hrs straight! :D Has been for about 3 mos now. Ok, now I'm bragging! :D From what I read, it could take until they are 6-8 months and sometimes up to a year before they sleep longer stretches.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You asked two different questions there.

In response to when do you get your sanity back- Never. They have issues when they are young and bigger issues when they are big. Mine are adults and my sanity is worse now than ever.

good Sleeping- You really aren't out of the woods until they are like 5 or 6.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• ok you have 2 questions. to the first question, when you'll get your sanity back, the answer is NEVER lol. even when they're adults you'll still be going insane.

as for the sleeping, question, some people, like the previous pp's are lucky, while others, like me, have to wait for 6 months before they sleep through the night. both my kids started sleeping for 12 hours straight, 8-8, since they were 6 months. before that, they slept for 8 hours at night starting at about 4.5 months, before that they were up every about 4 hours. but like you said, every baby is different. it also depends on your method of raising them. some people like to pick thier kids up as soon as they start wimpering, sometimes before they even start. this, IMO is NOT the way to go, especially to maintain your sanity,GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• All babies are different. My daughter was 8 months the first time she slept six solid hours. She was 13 or 14 months when she was regularly sleeping 9 or 10 hours at night.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• By the way, co-sleeping saved my sanity; it was so easy to fall back asleep while nursing. We transitioned her to her crib at night (she napped there, so it was not totally new) when she was sleeping through the night.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• There is no 'average'. Every baby has its own personality, so every baby is different.

My first DD was sleeping through the night at 2 months...the first night, she slept a solid 12 hours. My second DD didn't start sleeping through the night until she was 7 1/2 months old...it drove me CRAZY!

Generally speaking (as general as you can get, anyways), the more your baby eats, the longer he/she can sleep. So I wouldn't even start looking for your baby to start sleeping more than 6 hours until she's eating more than 6 ounces....if she's formula fed. If you're breastfeeding, its going to be quite some time before that 8 hour thing starts happening, due to breastmik being digested faster than forumla.

Oh yeah, and you'll never get your sanity back. Just when you think the sleep issue is resolved, she'll hit a growth spurt...more eating and sleeping. Then teething. Then she'll start walking. Then nightmares.

It never ends.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Some form of sanity will return when your baby is a little older and can entertain herslef but that is not for a while yet. As for the sleep question, my first baby slept through the night at six weeks then woke up again to eat at night when he was about 3 to 3 1/2 months old. My second baby was stil waking up to eat at night when she was 2 months old. They both started sleeping about eight hours a night when they had something substantial in their stomach before bedtime.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• In answer to your title question? Never. That was signed away in the mommy contract!

Eight hours straight probably won't happen much before six months, and probably won't happen with REGULARITY in the first year. Sleeping through the night is a mere five hours.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2009