pay for cable or buy movies every month?

we canceled our cable few months back and used that money to buy 10 movies a month. our local movie rental place sells used movies for really cheap and only spend what a normal cable bill would run. and we get comments about how deprived our kids are from not having cable but we have pbs kids and get local news channels, we actually get 12 free channels but i get looks of horror by some friends then other friends say we spoil our kids cause we buy movies instead...i think movies are the better investment what do u think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We have satellite, but I really like your idea OP!
    Since when are children deprived because they can't watch Nickelodeon or whatever other channels kids love to watch nowadays?
    Buying used or on sale movies each month is an awesome idea.
    I would love to do away with our satellite because I rarely watch tv, but hubby has a few shows he watches now and then that will only come on satellite channels.
    Great idea!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• We have every channel and the NFL ticket plus we have net flicks to.... The net flicks is used to hold new movies before they are in and my son can watch non stop Thomas the Train movies and other movies.... My husband pays the bills and he works hard to have his Football when in season.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Netflix. It's great. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• we have dish network basic hd package & buy ppv's when we want to see movies. of course we buy alot of movies too. i guess it really depends how important tv is for your family.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 8:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I would first check with the cable company. We got our Internet and cable bundled for less than what internet alone costs.

If that doesn't work - Try NetFlix... We LOVE IT! We get unlimited rentals and online watching for like $12 a month...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• We no longer rent movies at all. We have satellite, and even though we pay extra for a group of movie channels, they came bundled with the channels that we do like to watch- history, mystery, syfy, National Geo, and a lot more. Before we had satellite we'd rent maybe 3 movies a weekend, so originally we were saving money, but as rates have gone up I don't think we are any longer, but we do prefer the channels.

Answer by Bmat at 8:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• We have cable cause we do watch alot of tv. We used to have the movie package channels but dropped them when the prices increased- we were not watching them enough to justify paying that much. I had also found netflix-- and we LOVE it!! The price is good, they have a huge variety and best of all they deliver via mail so no running out to pick up/drop off movies.

I think as long as you and your family are happy with the channels you get that is all that matters and really is not anyones business what tv packages or plans you have.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I have sattellite dish and tons of channels because there is such a variety that I like besides movies. I rent a few from Netflix but I love watching Cable channels.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• thyey can watch tv shows on hulu.com, there are movies too. most of our grandparents grew up without it and they came out just fine. I also like netflix, no late fees.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I don't have cable either and it's great. We did have cable, but it's too expensive to pay for only a select few channels. I have netflix and occasionally I will rent from blockbuster or go to a redbox if don't want to wait. I can go online and watch movies and shows for free. I look around for good deals on movies. I am not impressed with Disney Channel shows and the messages they teach kids (Parents = dumb goofs and it's okay to smart off to them) and I don't care for Nick shows anymore either. We used the cost of not having cable towards a YMCA membership.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2009