Just wondering, am I the only breastfeeding mother who does not like to nurse in public..

or in front of other people? If we are at the mall or out shopping, I try to plan ahead and pump and bring a bottle. If I didn't know we were going or we were out longer than planned, I will go to the car to feed my daughter, if we are at the mall I will go the the Motherhood store and use a fitting room. If we go visit friends or plan on having company, again, I will pump and have a bottle otherwise I feel much more comfortable going to another room and nursing. I was just wondering if anyone else felt this way. From answers on other questions it seems that I am very much the minority. Mind you, I don't care where anyone else feeds their baby, if you want to nurse in public that is fine with me. I am just saying what I am personally comfortable with for me. This isn't an argument of whether you should nurse in public or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• No you are not the only one. My sister never nursed in front of others. Even in her own home she would take her LO into a different room (unless they were alone) for nursing because she just wanted to be alone, her and her baby.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• No, you're not alone. I never nursed in public. If I was out and about and didn't have a bottle ready, I would also go to the car.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I never nursed in public. I always carried a bottle with me. There were times I have sat in the car and nursed before entering a place. And at home if people were over I would go into the bedroom and feed him.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 8:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Nope. My mother was like that. She used to get so pissed because I would nurse my boys in public... Honestly, I never cared... If it really bothers someone, they don't have to watch, if they "enjoy" it... Good for them. My kids are hungry - they get fed. Simple as that.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I don't know anyone who LIKES nursing in public. I use breastfeeding pictures on online sites for awareness but there's no fun in it. I nurse in public because my daughter wants milk and it's much easier than running to a car or fitting room. I just don't see the point in giving myself more work with pumping and bottles when she can easily have it on tap the way she prefers. She's too old for bottles now anyway. The way I see it, something that isn't at all bad doesn't need to be hidden. So I don't hide, use covers, avoid going out at feeding times, use bottles, or anything else unnecessary. DD needs to eat, she gets fed. If you aren't comfortable, I'm sorry. I hope you don't give yourself too much trouble by being afraid of nursing in public. If you can handle it though, then stick to your comfort level. Just know it's ok and you're protected by law. It's pretty hard to notice a mom is nursing and even harder to SEE anything.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• It may not bother you, but for some reason, I feel bad/sad that you feel that way.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Good for you. It's your's and your baby's time together. My husband's friend's wife exposed her breasts to my dh more than I did that summer. In the middle of talking she would lift her shirt unsnap her bra then reach for the crying baby. Once right in the middle of church in the pew! A little modesty and respect never hurt anyone.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Breastfeeding is not immodest. Breastfeeding is not exposure. Breastfeeding is not disrespectful. A church is no place to exclude breastfeeding. Babies get hungry any time and any place.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I was never comfortable either. It's an individual thing...nothing to feel bad AT ALL about. I breastfed 5 kids and managed to do so in private for over a year each. It makes no sense for anyone to feel bad or sad for me b/c of that! (Krysta). So judgemental.

If you are comfortable nursing in public, go for it...if not, that's your business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• OMG now people are being called judgmental for feeling pity?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2009