Flout the mandate penalty and face the IRS?

September 24, 2009
Categories: Senate

Flout the mandate penalty? Face the IRS
Americans who fail to pay the penalty for not buying insurance would face legal action from the Internal Revenue Service, according to the Joint Committee on Taxation.

The remarks Thursday from the committee's chief of staff, Thomas Barthold, seems to further weaken President Barack Obama's contention last week that the individual mandate penalty, which could go as high as $1,900, is not a tax increase.

Under questioning from Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.), Barthold said the IRS would "take you to court and undertake normal collection proceedings."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Ensign pursued the line of questioning because he said a lot of Americans don't believe the Constitution allows the government to mandate the purchase of insurance.

"We could be subjecting those very people who conscientiously, because they believe in the U.S. Constitution, we could be subjecting them to fines or the interpretation of a judge, all the way up to imprisonment," Ensign said. "That seems to me to be a problem."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Ensign's argument , however, wasn't persuasive to the committee -- which rejected an amendment from Sen. Jim Bunning (R-Ky.) to eliminate the individual mandate.

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) was the only Republican to vote with Democrats to preserve the mandate.

http://www.politico.com/livepulse/0909/Flout_the_mandate_penalty_Face_the_IRS.ht...

Anonymous

• Oh but it also says they can throw your arse in jail and charge you hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines. It's unbelievable, freaking unbelievable.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Ummm...if I don't have the $ to get freakin insurance, what makes them think I can pay any kind of fines/penalties?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Nice huh? Lets hear from some who are very supportive of this bill...
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:54 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• sounds like what they do with child support, a person can't pay the child support because they lose their job, and the judge doesn't care so they find you wilful of not paying, they add interest then jail you, and the child support keeps adding up. very unlikely a person can pay child support from jail.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• anon...the government WANTS you to have the Government Insurance....they don;t want you to have private insurance--because they will not be able to control you. So glad I am a teacher and are protected by the teacher's union---unions will be exempt under this plan! Score one for the unions!

Oh, and the only reason why this conservative is in the teacher's union is because if I don't join the union I STILL pay 85% of dues, and would not be protected or have a voice. So I fork over the extra $100 per year to get their insurance, and protections. I just ignore all of the bullshit the NEA sputters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Did you know that there is NOTHING in our constitution that mandates we HAVE to pay taxes at all on our income? I wouldnt try and fight the IRS on that but it's still true.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Uhhh, unions suck.

Every union sucks.

Unions, in general make life worse for people who aren't in unions.

They are a conjured up "elite" group that everyone else pays for.

The things that the national teachers union espouses are shameful and selfish.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:36 AM on Sep. 27, 2009