Her stomach died? What???

A family member was recently told the bottom half of her stomach is dead and she has to go to Dallas for further treatment. This was just in the E.R. and they did not explain to her what that meant. She has been suffering from chronic vomiting for 2 years and went from overweight to dangerously underweight.
EDITED TO ADD: I found what it was, here

http://mayoclinic.com/health/intestinal-ischemia/DS00459/DSECTION=causes

Has anyone had any experience with this?
Thanks in advance!

Chick

Asked by Chick at 9:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Health

• My guess is what happened is that her pyloric muscle stopped pumping out of her stomach, it shut off. At some point, her stomach would know it's time to send its contents somewhere and so it comes back up. This happened to my 8 year old over the summer. It was so scary. He vomited so much for so long...and he was tiny to begin with but still lost so much weight. He was put on meds to control the acid caused by the vomiting...and also put on a medicine called Reglan, which tells the brain to turn that pyloric muscle back on. After a week or so, he stopped vomiting. I don't know if this is what is happening to your relative or not, but it sound a lot like what happened to my son. I'm going to post the anon, but if you have any questions I'll PM you. Good Luck...make sure she sees a GI specialist.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Never head of it before. And you gotta love the half explained diagnosis's the ER's give then rush you out the door with your billing information collected BEFORE treating you... ugh ..
    Good luck with your family member hun . Hope she gets well soon.
    Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 9:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I'm anon :33, I didn't see your edit before, I'll go read it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Did they say anything about the nerves? Just wondering. If so, it could be gastroparesis. That is when the nerves controlling the stomach and intestines basically die. DH has this, and they found it after he had been vomiting after every meal. It sucks, and the testing isn't fun, but it is something you can live with. Diet and meds help. If this sounds like it may be the case, PM me and I'll answer any questions you have.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Thanks ladies!
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 8:52 AM on Sep. 27, 2009