Why are our tax dollars going to an Al Gore backed Auto Company?

WASHINGTON -- A tiny car company backed by former Vice President Al Gore has just gotten a $529 million U.S. government loan to help build a hybrid sports car in Finland that will sell for about $89,000.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125383160812639013.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLTopStories

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 9:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• He is a free citizen--he has the right to endorse whomever or whatever he wishes. Is it just that his name is some how connected that bothers you?
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 9:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Why are we passing out loans to companies in other countries? We're broke! They can get loans from their own government.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• What's your point? Are we supposed to stomp our feet and get angry? Our tax dollars get squandered away on all sorts of stuff. Could I, as someone who is neither rep nor dem, get angry that Eric Cantor's wife's bank received a huge amount of bailout money? Honestly, I don't care.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 10:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Because the GOP is corrupt as the rest of our congressmen and women. How else could he get that kind of $$
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Why is the US financing a California start-up that plans to build cars in FINLAND?

Doesn't it make MORE sense to re-tool factories in the US to build hybrids?

How GREEN is building cars in foreign countries and the shipping them to the US for Al Gore and his cronies to drive?

Really, some people need to think this through.  It makes no sense.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Who cares what party it is!! The problem is both of them!

I wish people would stop being so complacent. It is the "I don't cares" and the finger pointing at a single party that helps this kind of thing continue. Why can't we simply be outraged?

We have the power to stop this sort of thing. We just have to join together to do it, and we can't expect it to happen over night.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Just more of the same, they are spreading our wealth around but not to the folks here, in our own country, who really need it.  No, instead we are helping Al Gore make more money and helping Finland's economy with our tax dollars, isn't that nice? We are so generous, Al Gore is filthy rich already off of us, from his global warming lies. 

Al's Warming Lies:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnis/al_warming_lies_W90Iqq6WKZDieukjRUChXJ

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I agree with yourspecialkid, we need to join together, we need to stop the destruction of our country, regardless of party, I am not happy with any of them, most of us aren't! The time of relying on the gov't to do for us, is over, they are paid to do the job we elected them to do, this is not what they are doing. They have an agenda but it's not what is best for the American people, it is not for any good at all. The trillions of dollars they are spending on so many stupid things are bankrupting us all. Once again I am saying, if the gov't really wanted to help us, why did they bail out banks, AIG and car companies? They were careless and irresponsible with startling amounts of money, and so the gov't bailed them out, what did they do? They gave out bonuses and took vacations. This gov't rewards reckless behavior on all levels. And then there is them, flying all over, in their jets, what about their carbon footprints?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Well it is a waste of my tax dollar money because I can't afford an 89,000 car, nor would I buy a car for that much money. Also, how many people really can afford a car that much?? Hollywood?
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 8:15 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• PSWifey-
    No, of course if Bush did that he would be lambasted. But thats not the point. The point is we are sending our tax dollars to another country for something we will get no gain from. NO jobs, no money, no nothing.
    I can't believe you agree with giving money away when so many people are without jobs, losing their houses and having a hard time feeding their families.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:34 AM on Sep. 28, 2009