Will the Homeless Doll be your next Christmas gift?

'Homeless' doll costs $95 (hairstyling extra)

By ANDREA PEYSER
September 24, 2009

Barbie she's not. Meet Gwen Thompson, the newest addition to the American Girl canon of dolls -- the wildly suc cessful, extremely expensive brand of faux children that are sold out of a four-story town house in the heart of Fifth Avenue.

Little children as young as 4 are addicted to these pricey little monsters. It's like middle-American crack.

You have an African-American doll, an American Indian doll. A Jewish one. A doll who "lived" during the Great Depression, and one from the Roaring '20s.

And while you were snoozing, the creators of American Girl, which is sold by Mattel, got bold. They engaged in all-out political indoctrination.

Snuck into the collection is a doll that comes with a biography that is weird and potentially offensive enough to keep Mom running to the....(continue on the link below...)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I totally plan on purchasing my daughter an American Doll when she's 8-9. When I was 9 my parents got me Samantha for Christmas. I still have her, she was my FAVORITE doll. What I LOVED about her was the books that came with her. The writer of the article insults the intelligence of our daughters by insinuating that the books will make them think these dolls are real people. I'm sorry, but if you child thinks a doll is real (in the way the author attempts to make it sound) then that child has other serious underlying issues that have nothing to do with dolls.

BTW, my sister and step sister both still have their dolls as well.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 1:49 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• LOL....does she come with a cardboard box and shopping cart? lolololol

stupid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• THAT'S the homeless doll? I guess if you're used to living on 5th avenue, she looks a bit "TJ Maxx-ish" other than that, looks like most other girls I see at school! lololo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• $95! who pays $95 for a doll? Crazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• No. But I'm not dumb enough to spend 95 on a doll eithEr.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yeah...I think its a little wierd, and ironic, But I would NEVER EVER EVER spend THAT much on a doll!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• damn homeless people must be living it up these days
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Dosnt look like ANY of the homeless kids I see on our states streets. Must be one of those Miami or California homeless kids they modeled it after.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009