potty training on monday

i'm starting on monday to potty train my 16 mos old dd..she's showing signs that she's ready,..such as going and sitting on her potty when i go, pulling her diaper off when she's wet, and wiping herself with a wipe and putting it in the toilet before we take the evening bath....any tips, tricks, or tid bits?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• be really encouraging and make a huge deal everytime she goes. even if she does not. tell her good job for trying!
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 10:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I think 16 months sounds a little too early, but if you feel she is ready, try it.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Oh, Sorry. I forgot to give you some advice, since that was what you were asking for. I would say to put panties on her, not pull-ups. That way she will feel wet if she has an accident. Take her to the bathroom every 2 hours for the first couple of weeks, and see how it goes. Then if everything is well, you can try to see if she tells you when she has to go. I would not make a HUGE deal out of it when she goes. Then she will expect that in the future too. Just my opinion. Just tell her, good job, and send her on her way. That way it becomes a normal part of everyday life.
    If all fails, put her diaper back on, and wait another couple of months but give it a chance before you do. I would say, try it for at least a week. If she is having accidents all day, and not aware of it, she is not ready. Good Luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I suggest a book called "Toilet Training in Less than a Day" by Azrin and Foxx. This is the technique used by mom and several of my friends and when my LO is closer to 18 mos we will use this same technique. Mine is showing signs of being ready, but she it too short to be able to sit on the potty chair herself and get up on her own. Mine is 15 mos and so 16 mos isn't too young. By the way the book is 7 bucks at borders and has a ton of great advice.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:57 AM on Sep. 27, 2009