Breastfeeding Moms, what is/was your baby's sleep schedule like?

I was wondering, is it true that breastfed babies wake up more often in the middle of the night and take longer to sleep through the night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Human milk digests more quickly so babies eat more often. It's easier to feed breastfed babies at night and if baby sleeps in your room you may not even remember how often the baby wakes up.

Formula fed babies are sick more often and have more problems with reflux. You can be up with a baby with these problems.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Depends on which child you are talking about. DS1 was up every 2 hours, and didn't sleep through the night until about 1 yr. old. But, nursing made it so I could get more sleep.

DD was sick, so we won't count her. Since from day 1 she was sick and we just didn't know what was wrong with her yet.

DS 2 Slept through the night (as in 6 hours) probably around 3 months or so. But we co-slept with him too so it wasn't really an issue.

They do wake more often but if you cosleep, it doesn't really matter because you really don't have to be wide awake to nurse them.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• yes is true!! at least for me my ds is 7 mts and stil wakes up eevry 3- hrs at nite to eat. IT SUCKS!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• It depends entirely upon the BABY.

*I* was formula fed. Didn't slep through the night, and at age 46 still don't sleep eight hours. More than six makes me unable to function.

My son was breastfed. Exactly the SAME.

It's the BABY, nott te feeding method. They will sleep or not based on their own internal wiring. Nothign you do makes any difference to that.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Human milk digests more quickly so babies eat more often. It's easier to feed breastfed babies at night and if baby sleeps in your room you may not even remember how often the baby wakes up. i think it also depends on the situation for example i exclusevely pump so i have to gibe him a bottle of bm and pump at leat once during the nite. it scuks but oh well

Formula fed babies are sick more often and have more problems with reflux. You can be up with a baby with these problems. my first was ff and she slept thru the nite at 3 mts. no reflux but ny bf had it for the first 3 mts.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• well it depends- my baby wakes maybe 3 or 4 times a night but all i do is put him in my bed laying next to me and i breastfeed him lying down and we both fall asleep together while bfing- we have done that since birth and he is now almost 3 months- its worked out so far and i can say i get about the same amount of sleep as before he was born

lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• That's what I'd always heard. My formula-fed baby was sleeping 12 hours at 2.5 months, so I expected to go a little longer with my breastfed baby, but she was sleeping 11 hours at 1.5 months. Since there's no way of telling how long it would take a formula-fed baby to sleep through the night if they'd been breastfed, there's no way to know if it's true or not. But in my experience, it hasn't made any difference at all.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My breastfed baby slept 4 - 6 hours at a time when she was about 3 weeks old maintained that sleep schedule until she was almost 3 months old. From about 3 months until about 5.5 months, she woke up 2 or 3 times a night. Now, at 5.5 months, she sleeps 8 - 10 hours at a stretch and takes 3 naps during the day. Each baby is different and their sleep schedules change often when they are this young. Baby will develop his or her own sleep schedule when (s)he is ready, try not to push one on him/her. Find a sleep situation that works best for your family to make the most of the time your baby is asleep and then do that. We have her sleep with us, in our bed, and we all feel much more rested than we did when she was sleeping in her sidecar bed.

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 1:10 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Co-sleeping saved my sanity; it was great to be able to sleep while the baby nursed.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:01 AM on Sep. 27, 2009