When do you start giving babys baby food?

I had my daughter in July and i am a first time mom and im just wondering when I can start feeding her baby food. She is eating 4 ounces of formula every 2 1/2-3 hrs during the day but will sleep 12 hours at night. Ive tried giving her 5 ounces but she threw the last ounce up.

MadisonNicole09

Asked by MadisonNicole09 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• usually around 6 months the docs recommend that you start them on some baby foods.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I started my son at 4mths
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• my doc said around 6 months is normal.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 10:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Okay thank you! I really appericate it!
    MadisonNicole09

Answer by MadisonNicole09 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• "Around the middle of the baby's first year" is the best answer I can give. Each pediatrician has their own opinion, and the new standard answer seems to be 6 months old, but every baby is different. Some kids might be ready earlier, others not until 8 or 10 months or even a year. Pushing solid foods too early can cause digestive problems and even food allergies. Babies who can't sit up alone yet and who still thrust their tongues out when offered bites are not really ready. Wait to see if she reaches for your food and opens her mouth when you take bites, and when she's ready, start offering tiny amounts of single ingredient foods slowly. Don't expect her to actually eat much at first. It's a new experience with texture and taste, and she may show you she's not interested in anything more than finger painting until she's older.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• When she's ready, which includes good head control, being able to sit while supported, using the pincer grasp (using thumb and forefinger to pick things up instead of the whole hand), showing interest in your food, eating more than 28-32 ounces in a 24-hour period, and loss of the tongue-thrust reflex (where baby instinctively pushes food out of her mouth instead of swallowing it; the only way to test this one is to try feeding solids and see what happens). That being said, many people don't wait for all or even most of these signs, simply going by their doctors' rule, which is usually just 4-6 months or past 6 months depending on the doctor. Anytime after 4 months, you'll probably have your doctor's approval; it's easier and better to wait until the baby is ready, though, which happens developmentally according to the guidelines I listed (you can find more at websites like Gerber and BabyCenter).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Thanks everyone I really appericate it!!!
    MadisonNicole09

Answer by MadisonNicole09 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• look for signs shes ready like not pushing her tongue out as much making chewing like movements having interest in food tryin to grab the spoon stuff like that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i started my son 1st stage baby food when he was four months i just replaced a bottle with a lil jar of babyfood a day, preferrebly one of his lunches
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 2:20 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• my dr said the twins could start at 4 months, they already get rice in their bottles for spit up issues so we just moved it to a bowl and started with some veggies
    katelynsmom22

Answer by katelynsmom22 at 9:02 AM on Sep. 27, 2009