25th percentile

Hi everyone

I cant help be concerned about my daughters growth. Shes always been on the 25th percentile growth curve, EBF and seems to be developing well in every way. The dr reassures me that if she's eating peeing and pooping then shes fine. She just seems so small. She was born full term weighing 6.10. She's now 11.5 at 3 months.

Am I alone?

rani78

Asked by rani78 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You're not alone. I have small kids too. Each of them started out exactly 50%, and even though they grew consistently, their growth dropped gradually on the charts and our old dr used to worry me with all the percentages and stuff. I love how our new pediatrician never mentions a percentile, but says they are each doing well based on their own growth, relative to previous measurements. If a child grows on their own curve, why stress moms out by comparing their kid to some chart?
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Max turned 1 in August and he has always been in the 25-30% on weight but 75% on height. His doctor said the same thing and as long as he is active and hitting milestones there is no concern. He basically said babies come in all sizes so unless his behavior/level of activity changes no worries. Just keep an eye on it and nurse on demand. You are doing great!
    Liz0808

Answer by Liz0808 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• The more important thing to doctors is that babies stay on the same growth curve, not which curve they're on (i.e., that your daughter is consistently in the 25th percentile, not suddenly dropping to the 5th or jumping to the 50th). My son was born at the 90th percentile, and since has steadied out at about the 5th; he's two now and perfectly normal in every way, just a bit on the small side, but nothing wrong with that. It's just how some babies are, just like adults are all different sizes, some small, some big. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You can expect your baby to double birth weight by 6 months. She is well on her way to doing that.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Percentiles really mean nothing for a breastfed baby. Don't even listen when they're given to you. Her gain is FABULOUS! We look for only a pound to a pound and a half a month and she's doing SO much more!

Every mom worries about this. Most of them are worrying about it needelssly. You are part of that latter group. **smile**

You may worry about the growth of her COLLEGE FUND instead. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 10:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I agree that the more important part is the consistancy of the percentile not the percentile itself. Both my children are small. My 10 month old is also in the 25% and the doc says she is doing just fine.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 10:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My youngest son has always been in the 10th % for height. When he was an infant he was in the 40th % for weight. Once he started running around and really going his weight is now also in the 10th %. My doctor said that this is find since he is being consistant and staying in the same place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My doctor never gets concerened unless they drastically drop of their normal growing curve. My daughter is usually somewhere in the 70th percentile on weight and the doc just tells us she is staying right on her growing curve.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Im sure she's fine...a friend of mine EBF until her daughter was 13 months when she went back to work...she's now 14 months and is only 17 pounds...my daughter is 12 months and 24 pounds...so everyone is different...genetics play a part and if she's developing correctly then I say stop worrying and enjoy your precious petite little girl :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:00 AM on Sep. 27, 2009