Why is he doing this?

My baby used to be a great sleeper! He was literally sleeping 5-6 hours from birth and from about 3 months on, he was sleeping 6-8 hours at night. Now, he's 4 months old, and night or day, he doesn't sleep more than an hour at a time. I've tried putting him in his swing and his crib, I've tried introducing solid foods, and no matter what, he just won't stay asleep. I'm sure part of it during the day is because of my 2 1/2 year old daughter being loud. I wish I could put him in his own room, but we only have a 2 bedroom apartment and of course my toddler is in her room, and the lease isn't up until next April, so the crib is in our room, and my husband snores, so that probably doesn't help either. He used to sleep in the swing, but that doesn't help anymore. What else can I do to get him to sleep longer? He doesn't want food because the second I try giving him a bottle he turns away and cries.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They go through various spells of sleeping good and not so much. If he's not fussy, just lay him in his crib and let him stay awake. If he's in a crib and safe, you can try to get some rest. Babies can adjust to noise... otherwise, we'd all be in trouble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• That'd be ok, but normally he is fussy when he wakes up. He either wakes up crying or starts crying if I don't respond right away. Believe me, I do wait and see if he goes to sleep when he wakes, he just never does. And having a 2 1/2 year old and living in an apartment, I don't have the option of letting him cry it out even if I wanted to (and I do not).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Teething maybe? I had one who wasn't a good sleeper and never did more than a few hours at a time for over a year. Then my second slept several hours at a strech for a few months as a newborn. I thought we were so blessed to finally get some good sleep, but then teething wrecked it all.
    Just before reaching major milestones, some babies get extra fussy. IDK why, but both my daughters got more irritable and didn't sleep very well just before big accomplishments like sitting up or crawling or walking. They go through stages and change so much that it could be anything. I'm sorry I don't have any real solutions for you, just know you're not alone!
    Phases can go just as quickly as they come, so I hope it passes soon. We have a 2 br house and 2 kids 2 years apart, so I know the sleep situation is not easy!
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• FYI: solid foods don't help babies sleep better as some people might tell you. Solid foods for a baby who might not be ready can actually make them sleep less because it can upset their tummy and make them gassy or constipated if their system isn't ready to digest solids.

If you don't want to CIO and keep him in a separate room, have you tried co-sleeping? He might be in a clingy phase and need reassurance and more closeness with mommy that he can't get in a crib.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yes, I have brought him into my bed, but I worry since I'm not breastfeeding anymore. Even the most avid AP mommies have always said you shouldn't co-sleep if you're formula feeding, because the hormones released from lactating keep Mom from going into too deep a ssleep and doing something like rolling over and hurting the baby. Since I'm formula feeding, I don't have those hormones to keep me from doing that. I'm not opposed to it, and I know all the studies say it's generally safe, but most say it's only safe if you're breastfeeding, so I try not to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2009