Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What am I supposed to do as a single-income family?!

I have been living on one full time income providing for my son and I for quite some time now. At this point, child support has FINALLY been ordered.
Now, we all know very well that child support is not a RELIABLE income, because usually the guys being forced to pay are dead-beats who can't pull their heads out of their rears. There are ways for them to avoid paying the child support.
In my case, my full time income is enough for us. WITH the medical, food, and daycare support that I receive from county.
IF I accept my 400 dollars from child support, that means we get cut off of those assistances. This means that with a *possible* raise of income of $400, I am supposed to cover these added expenses: Daycare=400, Food=150, and Medical=250..... that means +400 and then -800 for the budget.

I have heard the word "unethical" thrown around for people in my shoes who don't want the child support.

Unethical? Or protective???

Answer Question

Asked by kyrabeans at 10:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • If child support has been ordered, there is not much you can do about it now. They will already notify the state when this happens... They will find out soon anyway.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Personally, protective. I understand how unreliable some men can be. I am 23, married, and have a 10 month old and my bio-father is STILL paying his arears child support. I think he is still about $8,000 behind. How pathetic is that? Luckily my mother remarried and even before that was able to provide for us with only the help of WIC. Child support is only reliable if the man is. Sometimes, it's not worth dealing with.

    Some moms will argue to get a second job, but if you have no one to watch your son, it's a hard thing to do.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • And seeing as another job means another daycare, nearly all of my extra income would go towards getting to work.... this is not possible.

    I am just stewing over the fact that Mr. Sperm Donor can sit comfortably at Mommy and Daddy's and get paid under the table to avoid helping his son.

    And the county will sit back and count the child support as income, whether I as a mother can count on it or not.

    Answer by kyrabeans at 11:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • they can't count something you are not getting, you just have to make some phone calls and talk to your case worker. I don't see anything wrong with you not wanting child support, food, medical and everything else is ridiculously expensive and extra $400 is a needle in a haystack compared to cost of living, you got to do what you got to do and people can take there opinions and shove them. Good Luck


    Answer by looovemybabies at 11:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Maybe you can cut your hours.

    Answer by divamama1976 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • You haul his butt to court every time he's late. WIthout fail.

    All kinds of things can be garnished, too. The grandparents may find THEMSELVES becoming liable for thoise payments if they house him.

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:27 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

  • Go with what you can count on and what will be the most benefit to you and your son. Don't worry about what others say. You've got to survive.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

  • HI,
    I'm happily engaged and we are about to buy our first home. We live in a small town where it is really hard to find a decent job, so I've been searching for a way to work at home. I recently found a home-based opportunity with no large investments and no risk! I work in the comfort of my own home with an international, 24 year old, Inc 500 company. All I do is set up customer accounts and do some online marketing. I work around my own schedule, with a group of amazing team members. I never even have to leave my own home to be successful!

    If this is something you'd be interested in, please visit my website.

    I think that once you hear more information about the company, you'll love it just as much as I do!

    I hope to hear from you soon :)

    Answer by lynsey7 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

  • Where did you get the $250 medical number? Is that insurance through your employer? For you and your child or just your child? I work at blue cross blue shield and if that is just on your child that is extreamly high. We can insure kids for $40-$90 dollars a month depending on the plan and deductible. You may wanna consider this.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

  • thanks everyone!

    Answer by kyrabeans at 9:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.