Newborn clothing........

So I am not due for a little while yet, however I am really curious. I am starting to get alot of newborn and infant clothing and I know this should be common sense, but did you mom's out there wash all the new clothes FIRST before the baby came?? I really don't know if its safe to just cut the tags off and I'm good to go. I thought about all the germs and what not in the stores etc and figured I'd throw the question out there. I heard DREFT is a great infant detergent for babies. Suggestions? Thanks!

BLoNdIe121679

Asked by BLoNdIe121679 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wash first. I just used all free and clear
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You should wash them all; you can use DREFT, or ALL CLEAR (I think that's the name) or at target in the baby section they have detergent, can't remember the name.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• yeah, im not due for a few more weeks, and i have washed EVERYTHING! even my crib bumper...i just figured anything the baby touches should be clean...but i washed all his stuff in normal detergent...if he has a reaction ill go buy the dreft and rewash everything.
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Definitely wash the clothes before you put them on the baby. Even though you don't have the problem of other people (who may or may not have taken a shower) trying on the clothes before you bought them, I've worked in a department store unloading trucks, and the clothes stink coming right off the truck (I think airing them out on the rack helps, but still). Any "free and clear" or "sensitive skin" detergent works, it doesn't have to be specifically for babies.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Washing the clothes is a great idea. You don't know where it's been. Dreft works well with sensitive skin. But if your detergent is good enough for you it's probably good enough for you little one. I personally avoided fabric softeners because my son would break out a little. I would only wash a few favorites. Neither of my kids ever fit in the newborn size. They were both wearing 3-6 month clothes off the bat.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I washed everything, but not because of germs. Because of sizing, it makes clothes not feel so good and some people have a reaction to it. I always wash all of the clothes I bu because of it. All free and clear or the generic version worked great for us (but we use it anyway.)
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I'd say wash them but as far as Dreft I'd just use your normal detergant. If your baby has sensitive skin switch to another like Dreft but you might cause skin sensitivity if you start with that kind.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 11:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Thanks so much ladies! When I took the infant care class they said to never use regular detergent b/c the chemicals are too harsh for baby's skin. I think I am going to wash everything in the dreft. At least for a while b/c why risk a reaction? But I think when I got out on leave a few weeks before my due date I'll wash it all. The only thing I wasn't going to was the packaged newborn socks......
    BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 11:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You can wash them first before you baby gets here or you can wait. Just make sure you have a few outfits clean first and then have someone or you can do it when you get home. You might not feel to up to or have much time. I just found it was easier to do it before. You can use dreft but i find it expensive. You can use your regular detergent but some babies have sensitive skin issues. I, myself do not like the smell of dreft but the Target brand baby laundry detergent is great. that is what I use and a fraction of the price of dreft. Congrats on your upcoming baby.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't use dreft you can always switch if baby reacts. You don't want to CAUSE sensitive skin. It's just like how babies need to be exposed to allergens to build their ammune system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2009