how do i get my son to eat all of his meal and not just 3 bites?

i tried making him sit, challenging time outs, nothing works

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I put just 3 bites of everything that I'm offering for dinner...ask him to take 3 bites...his choice and if he wants more he can have more
    always best to start out with a little bit after all they can ask for more
    Rather then have too much and end up wasting food
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• How old is he??

I never make my kids eat anything....I mean they have to try stuff but if they do not
    want to eat I do not force them..

I for sure would not put them in timeout for it either..

Force feeding your child, to me is not teaching them anything but to eat when they do not feel hungry...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I don't know the age, but sometimes my son (3) will go through a little phase where he eats hardly nothing; after about 3 days his back on the eating wagon. Anyways, I can't always make him eat, although I would like to, so I just let him go without and he gets over it pretty quick; still offer food but let him slack off and he will pick back up.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I used to worry that DD didn't get enough to eat. I cut out snacks...after about 1 o clock, including any drinks other than water. We still struggled to get her to eat an entire meal. I keep her portions small, and I feed her "snitch" pieces of foods like meat, or veggie while preparing the meal. That way I at least know she is filling up on the important stuff first. I have also not put certain foods on her plate...until she has finished most of her meat/or veggie. Good Luck!
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 11:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• When you figure that out let me know cuz I'm in the same boat lol
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• don't give your kid a food complex
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You don't. You NEVER force a kid or anyone else to finish all of their food. If he isn't hungry then let it go. Good way to help your child develop an eating disorder. Do you finish all your food or do you stop when you are full? STOP forcing your child to eat everything, STOP punishing him for not eating. If he isn't hungry then he isn't hungry. Some parents really need to think of later consequences for what they are forcing their children to do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Good advice.Save the time outs for bigger things.Meal time should be enjoyable family time.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:43 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• The air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:05 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• We use the 3 bite rule. you must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you get peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in tis century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed,