(True or False) Every day Doctors encounter new diseases/conditions that are "new" for them. New diseases that will have to be studied and evaluated and then given a name.

And can you name a new disease/condition known only in the last decade?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• A recent study has found a new sexually transmitted disease called Mycoplasma genitalium Founded in 2007.

TRUE.  Plus old ones are getting immune to treatments (not responding). 

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 6:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I don't know about every day, but I'm sure there are a good amount of days when "new" diseases are discovered.

Eosinophilic Gastrointestinal diseases- first discovered in the 70's but only in the last 9 years has there been any real research related to it. So no, it wasn't discovered in the last 10 years, but there were VERY few cases of it until it got more attention recently. A lot is still unknown and it definitely needs more research.

Why do you ask?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I doubt that this is a common occurence although most docs wish it were.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Like the first poster said, I doubt it is an everyday occurance, but I do know there are millions of diseases/conditions that affllict people all over the world, and not enough is known about many of them. Time and money DO need to be spent on researching these uncommon, unknown diseases.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Why do you ask?

I thought nobody was going to answer the question.
    I was reading an article in a foreign mag that it says that Doctors are turning their backs to patients that have "strange" symptoms. Symptoms that don't fit on any of the criteria for a listed disease.
    It got my attention and It got me thinking how cruel medicine could be.
    I mean if a Doctor can't figure out what to do then who?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Sorry forgot to write the word "op" above. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Autism is one of the new afflictions in this decade.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• this is why I love watching "Mystery Diagnosis" on Discovery Health. There are SO MANY uncommon diseases out there that most doctors just don't know about. Very eye opening!

First poster- my son has EGID!! You're right, it's only been "discovered" since about 2003 and there still needs to be so much research on it!! There is not one penny allocated for research of EGID, yet there are kids all over this country who are unable to eat ANY food at all, other than a special formula fed through a feeding tube. My son is lucky, he still gets a few "safe" foods but otherwise is mainly tube fed. Stupid eosinophilic diseases!! We need more research to find a cure!!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:07 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Autism is NOT new to this decade!! It is just more commonly diagnosed. Big difference.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:08 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Thanks for sharing. OP

mnt_2...

First poster- my son has EGID!! You're right, it's only been "discovered" since about 2003 and there still needs to be so much research on it!! There is not one penny allocated for research of EGID, yet there are kids all over this country who are unable to eat ANY food at all, other than a special formula fed through a feeding tube.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Sep. 27, 2009