Is breastfeeding still beneficial?

How beneficial is your milk if you are allergic to literally everything besides air? I am talking wheat, dairy, peanuts and turkey just for food! Plus so completely malnurished, I have only gained 13 lbs and am 38 wks pregnant! I had to gain 20 lbs just to get pregnant which required smoking pot day in and day out (yes, perscription but stopped when I got pregnant). I have asthma and am sick at least 4 times a year (severely sick). No, I do not have any "illness", just unhealthy as F@#K. Always have been! Is my child going to even benefit from bfing or am I going to ruin her???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• nobody else in my family has allergies... or asthma! just me... this is even my extended family! i am the only one! My mom tried bfing me but then went to formula. She strictly formula fed my bros and they are fine! Everyone in my family was formula fed... and im the only sick one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If you have a family history of allergies, you might want to avoid certain foods (for example, peanuts or dairy), but again, this would be different for every child:

kellymom.com :: Can a nursing mother eat this food?

kellymom.com :: Should breastfeeding continue when mom is sick?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You are the poster child for why a child should be breastfed! I am sure you do not want your child to have the hardships you did so try and placate that by breastfeeding. Breastmilk can provide immunities and 'helpers' to everything you have listed. If you decide on formula you are basically giving your child no chance to achieve to higher heights. You are basically saying oh well it will happen so what?! The so what is the fact that breastfeeding may stop the allergies, may help your child from suffering from moderate to severe stomach problems, immediate and lifelong. Basically if you want better for your child the best bet is to breastfeed.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• That kellymom quote about family history applies to you, the mom, too.
    That website is an amazing resource~ be sure to check it out!
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• As a matter of fact...it's FAR MORE beneficial for you to breastfeed than not. Your milk is bound to be far purer than any fomrula you can give.

All you need to make milk is WATER. That's it. The foods you eat are for YOU, not for your milk. Your milk will REMAIN perfect. Even if the only nutritious thing you get daily is a multivitamin.

Breastfeeding is never *not* beneficial.

Honestly, YOUR being the genetic mother is the biggest risk...if you've made it to term than baby is not and cannot be ruined now

Answer by gdiamante at 12:07 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• could it be because she tried to bf me??? That is what if feels like to me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• could it be because she tried to bf me

What do you mean~ tried and decided not to? There is no sure way to know anything, but you might be more healthy had you nursed/nursed longer.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• in your case it would be in your childs best intrest to breastfeed. as long as you are getting nurtion from some where and just because you have food allergies doesnt mean you cant eat it just means you need to avoid those foods no big deal make sure your drinking lots of fluids and take a multivitamin. And if you do happen to get a cold keep on nursing because baby is most likely not going to catch that cold in the end because your milk has the antibodie in it to help from not getting it. You will be fine i would atleast try nursing him or her.
    If you can get past the first two weeks you will be on your way to a happy healthy bonding realationship with your new baby its truly amazing. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• "could it be because she tried to bf me??? That is what if feels like to me! "

Nope. She just managed to put together a very unfortunate genetic combination for you. You likely wiould have had the same allergies no matter HOW you were fed. Genetics trumps it all.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:40 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• it is even more important for your baby to be breastfeed. There are people out there who have more alergies than u hun and do just fine. I don't do dairy, wheat, fish, pork, or nuts. My children are very healthy. Are you on probiotics or acidopholis? It would be very good for your immune system. Also do you get sick when you eat one of your allergins? I eat 1 nut and I get an ear infection.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:57 AM on Sep. 27, 2009