how can i keep my breast milk production up?

sarahgrassi

Asked by sarahgrassi at 11:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Eat often, feed baby depending on age 5-12 times a day. Never go more than 9-10 hours without feeding your baby or pumping. If you think you're milk is needing a boost try oatmeal. It works wonders.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Adding to what the above mama said...make sure you are drinking PLENTY of water. You can also try Mother's Milk Tea and Fenugreek.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 11:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Nurse nurse nurse nurse.,

And then do it again.

Drink 64 ounces LIQUID. Water, lemonade, tomato soup. Don't care. LIQUID.

Then nurse some more.

COunt dipes. 6-8 daily means your production is fine.

Nurse some more.

REJOICE when baby fusses...that boosts production.

And nurse some more.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:03 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I agree with the pp's. One thing though - if you're drinking things like herbal teas and stuff, make sure they aren't diuretics. I used to drink this apple cinnamon tea all the time - I loved it. I was also nursing. I ended up having to go into the hospital (NOT from the tea, btw), and in addition to the stuff that I was in the hospital for (uterine infection after my c-section), they said I was dehydrated. Since I was drinking this tea like crazy, I didn't understand how I got that dehydrated. The Dr explained that the tea was helping to dehydrate me, and I needed to switch to something like the pp's suggested -

water, lemonade, soups, milk, mother's milk tea, etc.

Plus, the more you nurse, the more milk you're going to produce. (pumping doesn't always have the same effect, so when possible, go 'the direct route" ;-) )
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Nurse, on demand. If baby still seems hungry, nurse more. Eat and drink well.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2009