My 5 yr old has had a tummy ache for 3 days.

It seems to bother him in the evening and I had him go to the restroom which he did go (so i thought it must not be constipation). I bought him some tums tonight for children. Just wondering why his stomach would be bothering him and no other symptoms. It seems pretty painful : (

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 12:08 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I've taken my 4 yr old to the dr for frequent tummy aches, and her dr had us keep a food journal of everything she eats and start giving her extra fiber (we've resorted to benefiber supplements because she just won't eat big enough quantities of the foods they recommend). He also recommended probiotic chewables along with her flintstones. Her tummy hurts a couple times a week, and not always at the same time of day. She isn't constipated and doesn't usually have diarhea either. All we've been able to figure out is that it could be a mild intolerance to dairy. I do think that the probiotics have helped her though, because since taking them she has complained a bit less of stomache aches. You can get them as a powder or chewable tablet in any Walgreens, CVS or other drug store for a few dollars. They should just be out on the shelf but ask the pharmacist if you can't find them.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 12:24 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• no fever? sometimes children with strep throat complain of a tummy ache but never say their throat hurts.
    since it's just the evenings i would see how the tums work and make sure he is drinking plenty of water and fruit and all that. good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My daughter was complaining of the same thing I took her in and the dr. told me to buy fleet over the counter. She was going to the bathroom, but she was backed up he said. Hope he feels better.
    dolphinkisses

Answer by dolphinkisses at 2:04 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• a stomach ache for 3 days calls for a stomach visit. When my daughter has a stomach ache we found that a warm bath helps her, a suggestion from her doctor when she was a baby and it helps still (she's 5 1/2). Maybe it's not a stomach ache and something he fears at night since you said it bothers him in the evening? Sometime it can be more than that. have you considered having your son take acidophilus chewables, it helps with the to keep the flow moving.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 8:04 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• He could be constipated still. Some people can still gave BM;s and be constipated. He could be Lactose Intolerant. I would be calling the doctor, that is too long for a child to be having a tummy ache.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 27, 2009