Taking Pics From Public Profiles

Curious of your thoughts.....I discovered that the couple that adopted my daughter have several social networking sites and while sifting thru them, I found TONS of pictures of our daughter. I saved every single one of them....and I also found their website that a-dad created that chronicled her birth and journey home via pics....they're blocked, but I will figure out how to save them somehow.

Considering they're public profiles, do you view this as wrong? I only share them with close friends and fam....my social networking sites have any albums with her in it set to "private" or "friends only", so it's not like I am posting them for the whole world to see. They started to get stingy with the pictures and updates, so I feel I have to get what I can while I can.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Adoption

• UHHH, no way is it wrong! If something is public that means it is open to the public and ANYONE can view it!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:24 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Amom here. No, I think if its a public profile that is set for the public to see plus you only set yours to private and friends only, it wouldn't bother me at all. However if the adad has his profile or pics set to private, then I doubt you will be able to save them. But, I have to say I have a good relationship with my daughters birth mother and I offer her those pics anyway and expect her to post pics as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Try this. Not sure if it will work, but on your keyboard at the top, to the right of F12 key, hit prntscreen key. It will capture the entire page. I'd used it before in a chat room to capture search links and Url's when the webpage was moving with chat and control- C was disabled and right click save didn't work.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 3:43 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Is it "wrong?" I would say TECHNICALLY no since these pictures are on public websites. But, really, it's not our opinions that matter here...what do you think the opinions of the AFamily would be if they found out? Their "stinginess" in providing pictures and updates...do you think that will get better or worse afterward? The relationship between B/AFamilies need to have trust and, I would think, much of the trust they currently have toward you would be smashed to pieces if they ever found out you were doing this.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:06 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Not long after we brought DD home, I jumped through all sorts of hoops and ended up getting DD's professional hospital pictures from the company that does them. I mentioned this 3 years ago in another online adoption place and that last sentence up there was told to me by a BMom that, rightfully so, carries a lot of respect there. And she's right, which is why I told BMom about the pictures. She was fine, but she would have had all the right in the world to have totally freaked out because those were HER pictures taken when SHE had custody and that I had no right to do that without HER PERMISSION. In fact, thinking now, it's probably completely illegal what I did...or maybe more so completely illegal what the picture takers did by giving me access to the site with the pictures and allowed to order the pictures for myself.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• No. If it is public then you are part of the public. Which is why I never put locations or any identifiable information on my pictures of profiles. I don't even list the city or state of where I am from. This way only my friends who know me and I know them ask to share in my profiles. I set everything to private. It is not about keeping the birthfamily out so much as it is about privacy in general. There are a lot of people who are not well and get fixated on people they don't even know. I am currently struggling with: do I try to find over facebook some of his biological relatives that I met? Is that a breach of bmom's privacy? It is a two way street. Some adoptive parents are reluctant to share information but do look up biological relatives out of curiosity. That same curiosity extends both ways.  So if it is public access you have the right.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:28 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• The only caution is that Facebook and other sites "own" those pictures. This has happened to me: my son is what agents go after. I have had people to sell and claim ownership of his pictures. We so far had been successful in getting back ownership but you need to know if someone likes the picture of your daughter, they own the site, they have the right to sell it to other buyers. You could see her face on a billboard nationally. Or in a magazine. Now I put only pictures I would be okay with if that were to happen again. Just a word of caution. We tend to share our cute pictures. It is a way for businesses to not hire models and photo shoots. And why should they if they can get it dirt cheap compared to the other costs?  If her parents saw her picture in a magazine they might wonder how in the world that occurred.  It is rare but it is going on more and more.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:33 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I must agree with most of the previous posters, morally and ethically it is not wrong...it is public consumed, so therefore, regardless of whom "takes and uses them", it is of only their own doing...no one elses. I would feel as if GOD had blessed me 100 fold, if I could have just 1 picture of my twins....Would I print any if I was allowed to come upon them, in a public forum...ABSOLUTELY....every single one! Blessings, C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• OP here, and I understand some of the concerns about trust. I have done everything under the sun to prove that I know my place. I don't pester them endlessly, my requests have been small (pictures twice a year instead of once a year) and ignored by them....honestly, in the two and a half years since she went home with them, I have written them maybe 3 times. The updates went from 15 or more pictures down to maybe 5, with one or two good ones, if I am lucky. I feel really hurt and confused because it almost seems like they are slowly preparing to shut me out entirely....I could be wrong, but that's how it feels. In spite of all of this, they still act like I am this huge threat. I wouldn't dream of interfering or hurting their trust and I cannot understand why they act as they do.

So, regardless of whether it is right or wrong, I am happy I found these sites. I feel like I have a window to their life. It helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• You say that you share them with your family and friends, but you have your site as private so you feel there is safety in that.

Dont you think that when the Amom set their photos up so that they couldnt be downloaded, they thought there was some safety in that.

Someone has already told you a work around for how they secured their photos, I am sure there is one for how you secure yours

Keeping the photos for yourself is understandable, re-posting them on your own sites I think goes a little beyond.

You wouldnt "dream of hurting their trust".... do you think they would see this as a violation of their trust?" If they catch on that you are doing this, they will know you already ARE violating their trust: they gave you the information that allowed you to find their sites.

I dont think you are a bad person and I feel for you but I would think about what you are doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2009