Moms that co-sleep...Need some Advice.

My 11 month old daughter has been waking up 3-4 times a night recently. So for the past few nights I've been letting her sleep in bed with me and hubby puts her in her crib when he gets home in the morning. It helps both me and her get sleep since she sleeps the whole time she's with me. But could this become a habit if I continue to use this method even though i only put her in bed with me if she does wake up for the 2nd time? Partially, I wouldnt mind. We do have a king sized bed so there is enough room. But it wont be such an easy thing to break when we have another baby in the future. Should I just let her sleep with me or are there any tricks on getting her to stay asleep in her own bed? Not all night, but not waking up 3-4 times. What are your experiences with co-sleeping?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We haven't hit that point yet as our baby is only 6 months old but she has slept with us every night since birth. She has no problems sleeping on her own for naps or at night. She sleeps through the night (slept 10 hours straight last night) and having her in bed with us works for our family. When we do have another baby, she'll sleep next to her daddy on the other side of the bed and the new baby will sleep on my side, with me. We're not in any hurry to make her sleep on her own. We want her to be comfortable and confident that her family is nearby if she wakes and becomes afraid.

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My son slept with me until he was 7 months. My husband did not like the fact that he slept with me. At her age, she needs to learn how to comfort herself back to sleep. I know it is hard to hear her cry, but the sooner you get her in the habit, the easier it will be on the both of you. Stay strong. It wiil take a few nights for her to get used to it, maybe a week or two. I promise you, it will be worth it if you do it now, and not when you are pregnant.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 1:15 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and has slept ith me since she was born. I tried to get her to sleep on her own a few nights, but her waking up and crying did not work for me, she sleeps so much better with me, and I think I do to. Now, for one thing, I will say that it is hard for other people (my mom) to watch her at night, because she prefers to sleep in the bed with my mom, and she tends to move, lol, which disrupts my mom's sleep. One thing that my mom does say, is that eventually kids sleep on their own, if it is working for your family, for your baby to sleep with you, hey why not??
    Sharde88

Answer by Sharde88 at 1:35 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• When i became pregnant again and got larger my boys both choose to leave my bed lol they said the baby kicked them and they didn't like it. My daughter on the other hand stayed longer. It can become a habit but if you are happy with it then do it. My experience has been great i have done co-sleeping with 3 kids and never have regretted it.

I found that both baby and i were well rested and I didn't feel like i was dragging all day, each of my children slept better and didn'trequire naps at age 2 or 3 or 4, they got enough sleep at night and it has paid off in the long run, my kids are in bed by 9 and up by 6 or 6:30 am on their own no alarms no mom having to wake them up or drag them out of bed. I truly feel that the sleeping habits they learned by co-sleeping have made it easier for them as older children to have better sleep habits. I always feel bad for friends who tell me their morning and evening horror stories.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:40 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I co-slept my first DD until she was 3. But my second (who is MUCH MORE attached to me) I let her co-sleep for a while. But I wanted time with my husband so I put her in her playpen to sleep. I sat it next to my bed. After a week or two, I moved it to her bedroom and let her sleep in that (she liked it better than a crib anyway). She outgrew the playpen and wouldn't sleep in the crib so I bought her a toddler bed. She was about 23 months and she sleeps in that now. I moved her gradually. When she wakes up, I go to her room and hug her - don't pick her up (we're potty training now so I will pick her up and take her to the bathroom) and tuck her in - make sure she has everything she needs. It's worked. She sleeps in her own bed and she will be 3 in January.
    If you like it though and prefer it, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 1:41 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My daughter is 13 months and still sleeps with us...we both happen to love it so no rush for us...I get MUCH more sleep that way as she still wakes up now and then...anyway, if you want to learn a great way...the website is. www.drjaygordon.com...he has some excellent tips on it BUT doesn't suggest doing it until they are 12 months old. At that age, they can go for 7 hours without their little bodies needing any nourishment. so that is his suggestion. You can read the articles for yourself and decide what's best for you but when the time comes for us, we will use his method. Good luck :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:59 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• we co-slept with DD untill she was 3, ugh never again i vow! she was soooo hard to break! and me and dh got less and less "intimate" time if you know what i mean!! when i had DS, he slept in a bassinet untill he was 6mos, then we booted him to the crib!

all i can tell you is to put her on a schedule and pray sister pray!! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Do whatever gets everyone sleep...because it WILL change. No, it's not a bad habit. They ALL get out of your bed when they're ready. Great article on drjaygordon.com on transitioning form the family bed.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I co-slept with all three of my children. I had a bassinet when they were newborns next to the bed that I put them in sometimes. None of them ever spent a night in a crib.

My two oldest were 3 years apart. They moved out of my bed when we moved and they picked out new beds and they were 4 and 7. My youngest started sleeping with one of his brothers when he was 2.5.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:46 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I don't get why people say that you'll never get them out of your bed. DD is almost 4, and for at least the past 2 years, has been going to sleep by herself, in her own bed. Yeah, there are times when she comes in to our room, but doesn't that also happen with kids who've never co slept?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:11 AM on Sep. 27, 2009