Did your children learn that Christopher Columbus discovered the Americas?

And if they did, did they also learn that the majority of people at that time throught the earth was flat?

I remember when I was in school, we were taught that Christopher Columbus was mocked because he believed the world was round and that he was the first to discover the Americas... What I wonder is, is this still being taught to kids? Most people today know neither of these so called facts are not true. Why are they being taught as truth? I don't get it, what are the history teachers of America hiding??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:51 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm 22 and that's what i was taught ...in fact, i did not know any different. ...well, i heard that Christopher didn't discover America. that some other guy did. ...but i dont know who (besides the natives of course) and i had no idea that people didn't think the world was flat back then. They knew it was round?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:54 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Don't laugh but wasn't it Amerigo Vespucci.....  I believe that is who I was taught it was or maybe the Americas were just named after him.  I can't remember.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• outstanding - the ancient Greeks knew the earth was a sphere and that knowledge was very common by the time Christopher Columbus was alive. In fact any random child would have been taught that in those days. I'm 26, and I was taught just as you were... incorrectly!

There were a number of people here prior to CC... Leif Gerrit for one... And others... Again, not what we were taught. Why do they keep teaching this stuff?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• That's what I was taught in school.

MY kids, however, are homeschooled. :-) They may be the only ones on the street to have their facts straight LOL
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:30 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• The Americas were named after Amerigo Vespucci...but he did NOT discover them.

Leif Eriksen is believed to have discovered the continent. I learned that back in elementary school...the school I attended was named for him!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:05 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My kids were homeschooled and they used to go around telling anyone who would listen that Columbus didn't discover America, that he was a murderer and robber, and that he enslaved the natives. They are now adults and they probably still tell anyone who will listen:)

No one discovered North America. The Native Americans were already here!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:39 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I was taught that but my dd will be taught correctly. I know because the school districts around here teach it correctly.

Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 7:27 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I was taught that Christopher Columbus never actually landed on the North American continent--it was the islands. But the schools tried to teach my kids what they taught you. I made sure they learned the right version.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:05 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Well my son is currently doing a project of this subject and he was taught that Christopher Columbus discovered the Bahamas, Cuba, and Hispanola. As to the theory of the world being flat, that was not mentioned at all.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 8:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Mine aren't in school yet but I had to say this.  That is what I was taught, and I thought I was stupid.  I couldn't figure out how someone had "discovered" America when there were already people here when he got here.  Thanks for this clarification, I've often thought that maybe I just wasn't understanding.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 8:37 AM on Sep. 27, 2009