can i get my breastmilk back??

i was breastfeeding my daughter for about 4 months and then slowly stopped but now i wish i could do it again. is there anyway to produce milk again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Congratulations on your decision to try and re-establish breast feeding. You can immediately start a breast pumping schedule to try and relactate. I would pump every two - three hours for 15 - 20 minutes with a hospital rental pump (they are the best you can get). I would also start taking fenugreek and blessed thistle supplements, 3 pills of each, 3 times a day. This schedule of pumping and supplements has helped many women relactate. You could also try More Milk Plus (from motherlove.com). If that doesn't work, you might talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for Reglan. It is a reflux medication that has been used to help adoptive mothers and women with PCOS lactate. It does pass into breastmilk but I'm not aware of any adverse reactions in infants from using it. Hope this helps mama!

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 1:05 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• All that the PP said, plus put your baby to your breast as often as possible. They won't like it much at first (bottle is easier and has more mobility) but eventually she'll remember how :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:10 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• If your baby will take the breast all you may have to do is start breastfeeding again. While your supply is building you will have to formula also. You could have a complete supply in a matter of days!

If you need any help you can call LLL and get free phone help. A good website is www.kellymom.com

Mothering Magazine has good discussion boards about breastfeeding
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:33 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• You've gotten good advice here. It IS possible, but may be hard. Don't let that stop you. Seek out your local La Leche League and go to their meetings. They're a great resource. If baby will latch, then just nurse to increase supply. A good pump will be your friend as well as a SNS (supplemental nursing system) to deliver formula while baby is at the breast. Hope I helped some, and congrats on making this decision.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:10 AM on Sep. 27, 2009