Spin off of my earlier Question...

When you see an evergreen tree decorated with lights and balls... do you automaticly assume they are Christian? Or do you acknowledge that they may be something else?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:17 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, i acknowledge that they might be something else ...but I think that's because i'm Pagan and i decorate a "Christmas" tree. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I have to admit that even though I am a Pagan, and I have a Yule/Christmas tree (as we are a multi-religious home it does both) I usually assume Christian when I see a tree. Around here that's about all there is. I know better, but usually assume anyway... Bad me!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:31 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think its a Christmas tree, but since not everyone who celebrates Christmas is christian, I don't assume its christian either. Now if I see a nativity, I do assume it.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:31 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Well, seeing as I'm not Christian & we have a tree up & decorated every yr.... I just think "Christmas Tree".
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:40 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• No, I assume it's Christmas time. lol
    PinkDiamond717

Answer by PinkDiamond717 at 1:40 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Religion doesn't even cross my mind.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 2:02 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Strange enough, religion doesn't cross my mind either. It's become such a secular thing that many people who decorate a tree during the holidays don't have any kind of religion whatsoever. They instead are decorating it and celebrating the secular Christmas that is about spending money and giving gifts and hanging out with family. Not that it's a bad thing to do that...

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:49 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Ditto what a couple of other people have said. Religion doesn't really come to my mind, either. I just think, "Oh look, a decorated tree," followed either by, "It's pretty," or, "Jeez that one is ugly."
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:00 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• It was a pagan symbol taken over by the Catholic church. All I see is a fun tradition to celebrate a fun and giving holiday. I look for ways to celebrate life and Christmas or Winter Solstice is just one way of doing that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Answered at 1:31 AM by: auroura
    I think its a Christmas tree, but since not everyone who celebrates Christmas is christian, I don't assume its christian either. Now if I see a nativity, I do assume it.

You know, it's funny you should bring that up, I meant to add that to the questions. Many Pagans do put out a nativity as it also aligns with many of their beliefs. Yule is the birth of the God Sun. Because there were many pagan Gods with a similar (or exactly the same) birth myth the nativity tends to fit for both as well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:10 AM on Sep. 27, 2009