Does the cat need to be put down?

This is a very involved question, so I apologize in advance. A few weeks ago, I noticed a young female cat in my yard all the time. She's very social, loves to be loved on and even likes the young ones. Initially, I notice she had a patch on her back that was bare and looked ugly. I thought she'd been in a fight and didn't think any more about it. Now we feed her and I've notice the patch is a big lump and part of it split open. My neighbor, who I've only seen & talked to once, came home this week. I went over to talk to her to ask if her red cat had gotten out. Turns out both the red cat and OC (what we call the cat) are hers. She moved out a couple of months ago due to some drama and when she left, she just put the cats out. She said she'd taken OC to the vet and he said it was an ingrown hair follicle and she's planning on taking her back next week to have her put down due to "her poor quality of life". WHAT???

Happywith2girls

Asked by Happywith2girls at 2:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Pets

• Sounds like a load of crap to me. The cat probably has ringworm or something. That lady's a bad pet owner to just leave her cats when she moves :(
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:12 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• More to the story - OC seems to be really happy. Like I said, she's incredibly social and loving. She's eating and drinking fine. She "hunts" the quail in my yard. She gets around just fine. I really don't know anything about cats, so I don't know if an ingrown hair follicle on her spine area is actually enough that she NEEDS to be put down or is my neighbor just trying to get out of taking care of her needs. I've left a message at a cat sanctuary in an attempt to find answers and get help, but I haven't heard back. Does anyone know anything about this? My daughters are so attached to OC, but I want to do what's best for the cat. Thanks in advance for your help!
    Happywith2girls

Answer by Happywith2girls at 2:13 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• You should ask her if you can have the cat. Tell her it will save her money not having to pay to put it down. And anon. comment above me, I appreciate that you're allowed to have your own opinion, but your comment really sucks, and was not conducive to the topic.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:33 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think I would ask her, in an outright but very nice and non accusing way, if she's sure the cat really needs to be put down, or if maybe it's a matter of she can't afford the treatment. Sometimes, that's the case, it's cheaper for a person to put an animal down than it is to pay the cost of treating a problem (especially one that's gotten out of hand). Before anyone bashes me for saying that - please note - I'm NOT saying that I agree, just that I know that this does happen.

If it's that she can't afford to pay for the treatment (or doesn't want to be bothered), and you can afford it, then maybe you could offer to adopt the cat and pay for the treatment yourself - in exchange for the cat now being yours, that is.

If you can't afford it or don't want to adopt the cat, then ask if you could think about it for a day or so, so you have time to hear back from the cat rescue people, and go from there.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:36 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• There are definantly reasons to put an animal to sleep but this is not one of them. If you are willing to adopt the cat yourself i would bring her inside and not let her take her. People Euthenize for stupid reaons some times. The worset one being they just don't ant them anymore. I see it all the time at the vet i work for, although in most of these case we will flat out refuse to do it and will have them sign the animal over to us so that we can find them a new home.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:47 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Anon at 11:26, people like YOU are gross and ought to be put down when they get sick/injured so other people don't have to bother with your filthy selves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• anon 11:26 ur a ass y 'd u even come in this post when u knew it was about a cat...if u hate cats doesnt it make sence to stay away form question retaining to cats? or r u a insensitive jerk?
    op- i think if u could afford it id ask the owner if u could have the cat and u'd foot the vet bill if it is in deed just a ingrown hair or even a absess from a bite mark it could be lanced and if kpet clean and put on antibodics the cat should heal up just fine
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:40 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I am a cat person, I would take the cat in and take it to the vet... From there I would take recommendation what the vet feels is best for the cat... If the lady don't like me taking her cat, then too bad, since she abandoned the cat I would just take it. I know it sounds harsh but - some of us have more compassion than others I guess.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 3:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• ask for documentation or call her vet to see what the problem is

sounds like the cat is fine and would be a great pet
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I'd ask if I could have the cat and then get her treated, poor baby. You can't really just take her to the vet's without the owner's say so, because she might just take the cat and have her put down anyway or take her to a shelter. So since she seems such a sweet kitty, if you would be willing to have her for your own, then tell the neighbor that you'll take her- it would save her the expense and the drive.

Answer by Bmat at 7:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2009