Please try and help me with this small question

My son is almost 4 months and he feels super hot. I gave him a temp check under his arm and it was 100.8. I know it is not a big enough temp but his body is really really hot. I am a new mom so please be kind when answering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does he have other symptoms of being ill? Try to remember that a fever is the body's natural way of healing itself from the ickies inside. His temp is ok for now, but check it every couple of hours.. In the mean time, don't put any heavy clothing or blankets on him. That raises temp. an makes reading the thermometer inaccurate. A light shirt or onsie is good. If his temp goes above 101, call his doctor.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:43 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Here's a good link that talks about fevers.

The thing is, an arm temp isn't going to register as high as one taken orally (which obviously a baby can't really do), or rectally, and it's not always as accurate.  I would take it again rectally.  The site I linked you to says that for a child his age, if his rectal temp is 100.4, you need to call the Dr. 

Since the under arm temp is going to register lower than the rectal one, and the rectal temp for calling the Dr is already lower than what the armpit temp is registering at, I would call your Dr, or take him into the ER.

Young babies have a hard time controlling their body temp, so fevers can get serious fast. I would take him in.

Please let me know how he does - I hope he feels better soon!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:49 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• It's good to take the temp under the arm. You add one degree to make it equal to what it would be under the tongue. So your baby's temp is 101.8. He has a fever.

I agree with taking blankets off and keeping him in light clothes. Fever is the body's way of slowing the growth of bacteria or viruses. It's a good thing and isn't dangerous until 104 or even higher.

It is scary the first time your baby is sick. Hope he is OK.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• underarm is not his core body temp. You need a rectal temp!
    jessicacoda

Answer by jessicacoda at 3:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My DD had an ear infection and had a fever of 104.7 last weekend. Just call the doctor and let them know what is going on with the baby and they will have you bring him to the ER most likely. That fever with my DD was under the arm and when we got to the ER her temp was 104.8 so yes it was high you are adding a degree when you are tking it under the arm. So if it read 100.8 it really is 101.8 GL i hope the LO feels better soon.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:36 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Give him a luke-warm bath. it should help. Good luck.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 4:08 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• rule of thumb that my daughters doctor told me, anytime you check the temp unfer the arm you always add a degrees. so it would actually be 101.8 and at four months i would give tylenol and call your doctor.
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 8:31 AM on Sep. 27, 2009