Teacher said something at school and now my son is terrified . . .

My son has been terrified of snakes now for the past week. He has never had this fear before. he is tiptoing when he leaves the house and won't play outside in the yard. He keeps saying he is scared because the teacher said snakes are relly dangerus.

I emailed the teacher and this was I got (I copyed and pasted)
"We had a class talk about rattlesnake safety this week because the bus aide said she saw one on the east playground earlier this week. We discussed how we don't touch snakes and to tell an adult if we see one. We also talked about not putting our hands where we can't see them."

My son is so scared right now and I think the teacher may have gone too far. We have also lived in our neighborhood for 5 years and NEVER seen a rattler. We live in the city, so it isn't a worry. Rattlesnakes don't come into the city. I am mad the teacher has made my son so upset. What do I do to calm? Do I talk to the princple?

mominnorthvegas

Asked by mominnorthvegas at 3:43 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in

• You can talk to the principal...but really? If a snake was sighted in the school yard, then the proper precautions were taken and it's better that they had the discussion. Some kids are a little more sensitive to this stuff than others. It will pass. Been there and done that! There was a rattler on the grounds of my son's school not too long ago and they had the same discussion.

Since you mention a back yard, it sounds like you're in the suburbs....and the 'burbs are great snake territory because there are well-fed rodents around.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:52 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I would take him somewhere he could actually see a nice snake up close and maybe touch or hold it. Have someone that looks to be an authority talk to him about good snakes and bad snakes.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:00 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Take him to your museum. Research snakes. he needed to know in order to be safe. We can't hide our kids from possible surroundings of danger.We must prepare them to react in situations in a way that may save their very lives.No i don't think you should speak to the principal. kids have fears just as adults. Our main fear should be protecting our kids in the best way even though we want them to live in a lollipop world. it's just not that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• get over it ? how about that for an answer. someone saw a damn snake and told the kids dont touch them they arent safe tell an adult. What the hell do u want them to do? ignore the fact they saw a fuckin snake and not tell the kids they arent safe so they get bit? good parenting right there...Ur just mad bc ur kid is scared the teacher did what she should have by telling the kids they are dangerous. If ur kid wasnt scared and the teacher told him the same damn thing i bet u wouldnt be opening ur mouth huh get over urself
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Snakes can come into the city and a school is usually a big open place with lots of places for a snake to hide. Your child's teacher did nothing wrong. She is trying to keep the kids safe and alive. You really need to just get over it and realize that the teacher is doing her best to keep your child alive. A person can die in a very short time from a snake bite. If your child's teacher did nothing and your son got bite, you would be throwing a fit because she didn't do anything to keep your child safe. He'll get over it in time. A lot of kids are afraid of snakes, adults too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Would you rather he saw a snake, played with it, and got bit?? Rattlesnakes ARE in big cities!! My cousin killed a 6 foot long Diamondback rattlesnake on his front steps IN THE MIDDLE OF PHOENIX, AZ!!!
    Simply tell him he doesn't need to be afraid, but he DOES need to be aware. He'll probably get over it in a couple of weeks, though, and this won't be an issue.
    I'd rather my kids were terrified of snakes than oblivious. It means they WON'T GET BIT!!
    Let the teacher teach. She is simply trying to keep your child safe.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• 1) Rattlesnakes can come into the city. From your SN I see you live in LV. My sister lives in Henderson (suburb of Vegas) and she has had to send my BIL out in the yard twice for snakes.

2) Rattlesnakes are pretty docile creatures that only bite when they are scared. (This is true of most wild animals.) Teach your son that snakes are scared of people and they just want to be left alone. The teacher told the kids not to put their hands where they can't see because you never know what might be hiding under that log or in that drain pipe. You would probably be pretty scared if someone reached their hand into your house!

3) Run crying to the principal? Seriously? I could understand being upset if the teacher said that the snakes were purposely trying to kill people or something along those lines. Don't be one of those "parents." I guarantee you will the butt of every joke in the school if you call and complain.
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I agree you should talk to the principal. Make sure that teacher doesn't say anything else that could scare a child. Make sure she doesn't teach the kids to wash their hands. That way no one will have a germ phobia. Plus, we can't have her telling kids not run around with scissors. Then kids might be afraid of scissors or even running!! This teacher must be stopped!

Just kidding... but really, your son is five.  He's scared of snakes. He'll get over it. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Right you should go to that principal and tell on that mean teacher! How dare she tell your son something that may keep him safe. Really, she is protecting your son. I live in the middle of Allentown, PA...yeah a nice city in the north...guess what the nice people at animal control pulled out of the creek by my house? A six foot alligator. Don't EVER think that animals can't come to where you are. My daughter learned about alligators in class the next day.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:30 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I don't think you all understand! He is having NIGHTMARES about the snakes! He is so scared. The teacher must have said SOMETHING to make him this scared. I don't think he (the teacher) is an innocent as you are making him out to be.

I have been deeling with a frigtened child all weekend. I don't think even TALKING about the snakes was necessary. I have lived in this neighborhood for five years and NEVER seen one.

@MommyJenny2009 - Henderson is the EDGE of town. I don't live on the EDGE of town. Look at a map before you act like you know something.

I am frustrated because everyone is acting like this isn't a problem and I am a wacko. He is having NIGHTMARES.
    mominnorthvegas

Answer by mominnorthvegas at 2:38 AM on Sep. 28, 2009