I know kids like learning to dress themselves will pick out crazy outfits

But at what age does that stop and they start wearing more "appropriate" clothes? When do they stop wanting to wear cowboy boots with gym shorts or one ankle sock and one tube sock? My son is 7 and past that stage, but I can't remember when it was. But I know it was before he started kindergarten.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:02 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My children and I lived in family housing at a large university for years while I was in grad school. We were always amazed when we drove through campus at the clothes student wore. College students don't know how to dress themselves. They wouldn't be temperature appropriate, they would be wierd, they wouldn't match, ect.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:07 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think us parents still have to step in until they get I see women still going out in there PJ food shopping . I work in a grocery store and there is a women that will come in with her two child they are in pj's and she is in a bath robe. At 2pm sometimes noon time.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I usually pick out her school clothes, but my DD has an amazing fashion sense when dressing herself at home. She'll pair a purple checked dress with pink and purple striped pants and it will work. I have no idea where it comes from, but it's very cool. She's 4, but she's pretty well been like that since she could dress herself.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:06 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• You mean males EVER learn to dress themselves? My DS is in his 20'sand would still dress that way if he didn't have to wear a uniform to work--heck, so would my DH! My DD learned to dress presentably by the time she was about 5.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Depends on the kid. My son's clothes are basic so he's been find dressing himself since he was 3. My oldest has always had pretty good fashion sense so she was like 4 or 5 when she started always picking matching outfits. Although, even at 9, sometimes I wonder what she is thinking.
    My middle daughter is almost 7 and we joke about her fashion sense. She comes up with the craziest outfits. To her if it has stripes then it matches no matter what color the stripes are in each piece. More then once I've asked if she will change because she looks like a clown (literally) and she says, no, that she likes looking like a clown. My 3yo is in that stage now. She'll put together some crazy outfit and tell me she is a clown like her sister, lol. As long as we're not going anywhere I let them be. They wear uniforms to school so that's not an issue.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My son's clothes are pretty basic too, and he doesn't have anything that really shouldn't go together. However, if he did find some wacky combo, I would help him change it. I'm not having goofy looking kids. We'll save that for when they're teens! :P He's 4 now.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:41 AM on Sep. 27, 2009