Help! No room for another car seat.

I have 4 kids and one on the way. I am disabled and cannot lift a car seats very far nor can I easily climb into my van. I do have dual sliding doors but access to the back back row is narrow. I have small children my 6 yr old is 35lbs and in a high back booster, my 3yr old and 20 mo old are in regular high back car seats. All three will not fit in the back back row, my teen barley fits between two car seats. I have captains chairs in the middle the seat belts are attached to the walls so if I have a car seat there you can't fit behind the middle seat to get in, nor can you move the middle seat.
My little ones cannot unbuckle them selves so I need to have access to them. The infant seat will block access into the van because of the seat belt and that the handle must be down while traveling.

We really can't afford another car and I don't know what to do. If you have any suggestions please help.

zealousmom

Asked by zealousmom at 4:54 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well i would be figuring out how to afford a another BIGGER car. You really don't have much of a choose. Trade in the van you have know and get a bigger more accessible van or BUS. (sorry I am just joking)

I have one question you are pregnant and you say you are disabled are you disabled cause your pregnet or you have a health problem? Being preggo is not a disability.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I'm disabled and had 3 children and had trouble with car seats. I became disabled while pregnant with the third. I'm not supposed to lift more than 10 pounds. I had to kind of drop my baby in the car seat. I also have arthritis and have trouble with the latch. The children's hospital where I lived had every car seat and they helped me find the best one for my issues.

I encourage you to look at a lot of car seats to see if you can find some that work better for you and your van. Teach the kids to help. I'm now a grandmother of a 12 month old. I can just unlatch his seat and he can get out on his own. I just cheer him on. "You can do it Marcus." He thinks it's fun and gets a big smile as he squirms out.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:12 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Okay, your van sounds very similar to mine, and our younger 2 + baby on way are the same ages. I'm picturing my van and kids + 2 of my neighbor's kids (I do a lot of carting around!) This is doable!

Back row: 6yr-old in booster, 14yr-old in middle, 3yr-old in 5pnt harness. My daughter is 1 month older than yours and has just figured out how to buckle her carseat all by herself about a month ago and won't let anyone else do it for her now. She has plenty of time to learn, so I'm sure yours can get it by the time babe comes!

Captain's chairs: FF convertible for 20mnth-old. As long as the older kids get in first, they should be able to squeeze in front of the carseat and between the two chairs to get to the back. Then your baby can go in the other chair either in a RF convertible or infant carrier. A convertible seat may better fit your needs, especially if you cannot carry long distances, and wouldn't block so much space.
    EmeraldsMommy

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 6:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• we have a full size conversin van b/c we have baby #4 on the way and on the weekend we usally get 1-3 more kids i put the older ones who can unbuckle go in the back and i put the infant and lil guy in the bucket seats my 5 yrs old is the desinated one who buckles and un buckels every one that i cant reach...i have a pinched satic so its hard for me to climb over seats and bend at odd angles..my 5 yr old loves the job of helping mommy with the lil ones
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:53 AM on Sep. 27, 2009