What do you believe and why do you believe it?

Do you know why you believe what you believe when it comes to God, who he is in your life and what he's done for you?

Sweet_Faith

Asked by Sweet_Faith at 8:07 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Is this a preaching Q, or a serious question?

I'm an atheist. I don't believe in any gods, heaven, hell, satan, sin, any holy books, any of that stuff.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:49 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• No preaching here, it's a serious question. For those who are atheist you can still answer the question as to why you don't believe, thanks.
    Sweet_Faith

Answer by Sweet_Faith at 8:53 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I do not believe. Because the God, Jesus, stories. Are just that. A book of stories. Know 100% proof that it is true. I would rather look up in the sky and believe that there has to be life out there.

Answer by louise2 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I don't believe in any gods and consider to be a story only. I have never felt the need to believe in any of it. I am responsible for my actions. This is not a dress rehersal for another life. I do the best I possibly can to be the best person I can be. When I die, it is over and I am okay with that. I guess you could say I believe in humanity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My SO believes that alcoholism causes atheism. He read some study about parts of the brain being stimulated by alcohol and how long term drinking can lead to feelings of isolation and mortality and eventually atheism.

My household would not be accepted by a Christian church. We practice ancient forms of christian magic that the church outlawed in the 1300s. We also practice Jewish mysticism and celebrate astronomical phenomena. It brings us a great deal of happiness and peace.

We plan to name our first child "Sophia Rose" after the "Trinosophia" or the wisdom of Christ and Rose for rosicruchianism, the lost teachings of Christ that we practice. If it's a boy: Jacques Emerson after Jacques de Molay- the man associate with the Shroud of Turin and Emerson the poet, my dad's middle name.

Somehow, this makes us evil witches, so we've been told.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:16 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I believe in the Trinity God, Jesus, and the Holy spirit. although i have had a very hard life with abuse and heartache I still feel/ see GODs love. there is more proof of the christian "religion" than any other. but i have a personal relationship with GOD. I'm not even close to being prefect ,but i keep trying to learn from mistakes and become a better person for the glory of GOD not myself. So others can see GODs love through me.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:22 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Ah okay, sorry about sounding snarky there then. I was on the Wii and I couldn't type much with the remote at that time. My nine month old was crawling all over me, lmao.

And yeah, sorry for not saying why I am what I am. I really don't know, I guess. Like I've said before on other questions, I didn't wake up one day and go "I think I'll be atheist from now on!" It's been a long time coming, I started to doubt my Christian upbringing when I was about 16, and I didn't seriously doubt it until about age 19. I "came out" as agnostic about a year ago (WOW!). I added -atheist to the end of the title about six months ago. I just find too many similarities and coincidences in world religions to follow any particular one. That, and the idea of a higher power just doesn't compute with me. That's why I remain slightly agnostic--IF there is a higher power out there, it's beyond any human comprehension period at all fin the end.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:30 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• "My SO believes that alcoholism causes atheism. He read some study about parts of the brain being stimulated by alcohol and how long term drinking can lead to feelings of isolation and mortality and eventually atheism."

=O WHAT? I'm sorry, but that made me giggle. I despise alcohol, I only drink it about twice a year, if even that. I just turned 21, and I've drank once since then, on my birthday. That's a new one, really. Alcoholism causes atheism? Wow. I highly doubt that all the other atheists on this site are alcoholics.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:32 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I believe in Many Gods and Many Goddesses... Many more than we could imagine. And I have seen proof of them in my life. From time to time I will work with one or another and see the change in my life... Yes, they are there and they are a great part of my life...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:38 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My SO believes that alcoholism causes atheism. He read some study about parts of the brain being stimulated by alcohol and how long term drinking can lead to feelings of isolation and mortality and eventually atheism

I'm sorry but this really made me laugh! It's been my experience the more a person has to drink they more they think they can hear god! lol! I have a Brother In Law that believe Jesus came to him - in his room... Yeah, I'm gonna guess the study he read was paid for my a church organisation looking to find new members from the AA meetings! lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:41 AM on Sep. 27, 2009