Would You Call CPS?

I've read a lot of posts this morning on what I consider to be child abuse. What do you consider abuse? What would you do if you were to witness what you think is abusive behavior towards a child? I have given this a lot of thought and it just seems to me like abusive isn't being taken seriously unless the child is beaten half to death. What are your thoughts on this? This isn't a "fun" question but I didn't see where to post it, sorry.

Katrina3016

Asked by Katrina3016 at 8:51 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• ive called cps on my sister a few times( her kids have no underwear,they sell there food stamps and only cooks microwave meals,she makes them wash there own clothes in the bath tub the oldest is like 13.she does drugs like crack,locks them in the house whenshe needs to go somewere. and cps didnt do anything,just gave her money to fix stuff in her house.she also never buys them anything for christmas or birthdays
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:28 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Good point.  I rarely spank my children but I wouldn't consider it abuse if someone else did.  I think a small child being hit with a belt, other object besides open hand, is abuse.  Thanks for your input!

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• im happy you posted this, its pising me off to! i keep seeing idiots who wont call cps or the cops when abuse is going on, its sad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think the problem is that "abuse" is so subjective. What I consider abuse may not be what you consider abuse and so on.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think maybe sometimes people just don't want to get involved.  Or don't know what abuse really is.  I think abuse is different for everyone.  What one person thinks is abuse another might think is just discipline.  Just my opinion. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 9:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

Exactly, lol. Thats what I was just thinking.
    Katrina3016

• it depends on what u call abuse if someone is apanking their child hard enought to leave welts, bruises and the kid cant sit than yeah thats abuse btw i spank but we have the spankable offense system in r house, and obviously if the child is loseing weight and its not a medical realted issue than yes i would call cys, or if the kids is consintly filithy or the parents drug addicats but what i dont see as abuse that some moms might is i let my dd play outside by herself or my neighbore letting her 10 and 12 yr old stay home alone for short trips to the store...basically if its not putting the child in harms way or going to cause the child to die than i dont report it
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:46 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Not all abuse is physical.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• There is mental and verbal abuse . Much worse thatn a smack. But that is what gets reported because how do you know ???????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Not all abuse is physical

That is so true.  If I were to hear someone calling their child names I would say something.  It's  degrading and uncalled for.  I'm not sure how it can be reported though.  Maybe by coming forward and saying YES I'VE HEARD THIS.   I don't know if it would do any good or not but I would try it if I seen it.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 27, 2009