Why do religious people tend to be so judgemental?

I am not saying it is all of them, but when encountered with someone who doesn't have the same beleives they tend to express what they feel they are doing wrong only because their views are different. How does your faith become the only truth for someone else, isn't judging a sin? and if so why do religious people continue to do so?

Asked by older at 9:07 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 68 (2,234,739 Credits)
  • Well, why does absolute power ALWAYS seem to corrupt absolutely? Human nature. Religion doesn't make you a kind or gentle person. You either were to begin with, or you weren't. And will be after. Naturally arrogant people become more so when they think that they have the right answer and it becomes the ONLY answer, not just for themselves but for EVERYBODY else. And they will sometimes literally CHOKE others with it in the name of their god.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Anything that you do that drives someone further away from God instead of inviting them to Him will leave you with blood on your hands. Religious people are judgmental because they are Only religious. Those who seek to know God understand that there is a big difference between knowing the fruit of a tree and judging it. It's not just that the Word says "don't judge" is says "judge not lest ye be judged by the same accord". I take that very seriously - if you're the kind of person that will look down your nose at someone - you will find yourself at the receiving end of that judgmental nose one of these days. People who use God's Word to award themselves the authority to be judgmental are also ensuring that the will miss out on the reward that He has in store for them when they stand before Him. Using His word to do your will IS adding to it - and is very dangerous indeed.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• bc they are FAKES and they think everyone needs to believe what they do and if not they think something wrong with that person
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think that as human beings we have a drive to be with those who are like us. In the animal kingdom, if you stay near animals like you are, you are safer, and better fed- they eat the same food and have the same enemies. So even now some people feel more comfortable with people who have the same beliefs. So for the strongly religious person, perhaps some feel more comfortable among people who share the same beliefs.

Answer by Bmat at 9:33 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Judgment comes from not knowing yourself and your beliefs. Those who are confident in their beliefs need not judge others and can behave with compassion bc their beliefs strengthen them. Judgment is a fear-based behavior. Compassion for others is critical to all religions.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:59 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• TEchnically as a christian the only place we are legally able to judge is within the confines of the church body. Those who have claimed Christ as their Lord. Then and only then are we to judge another and do so in love and the efforts to help them see their errors. Too many have taken it out of the church and into the world. Paul tells them that they re not to judge others until they have become the likeness of Christ so much thta their judgement is not done to harm another but out of love for them and the desire for them to go farther in their relationship with Christ..
    singedwingangel

Answer by singedwingangel at 10:08 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Oh, I am not sure it is fair to 'religious people are judgemental" that is like me making a post saying, "why are atheist people judgemental" I have come across judgmental in every shape and size.

I guess the real question is why do you assume the religions and judging go hand in hand? If the person didn't believe in God the judging will most likely turn towards judging religious people.

Religion doesn't mean judgmental, just as judgmental doesn't mean religion. Your question sort of hints at that concept. Why ask a question that just points a finger and then once inside makes a disclaimer not all. I don't know, maybe this cold is getting to my head but the question sounds as if is driven by a little judging on certain people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Well the answer if actually very simple! Religions tend to consist of a strict list of rules and beliefs. To be a part of that religion and adhere to those rules and beliefs most religions teach that is the ONLY way to be and all others are wrong. It's a fear tactic that most main stream religions have used to keep their people in "check" and to keep people from straying since before the Israelites. Even the Ancient Greeks and Egyptian Religions tended to teach that your loyalty to the Gods or in most cases a certain God/dess was required to have a happy life and unpunished after life. Those that lived outside the religiously accepted world were shunned and even killed because it was believe that one bad seed could bring down an entire city. Today, people are mostly taught Religion (Mostly Abrahamic Paths) from childhood up. They are taught that living outside of what God has ruled will bring unhappiness and punishment

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• cont... and so that is what they understand to be true. Therefore just like the Ancients, when people are faced with someone that does not live according to the rules they feel are set by God (whatever those are) they feel that person is dooming themselves and in most cases want to do something about it. Acceptance and Tolerance take a complete change of thinking for most, and it's hard to change the way we think. Most people plainly don't want to work that hard for others. What they don't understand is that the work they would do to make acceptance and tolerance a part of their life, could only better themselves.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Anon 10:18, I hope you feel better soon! my question comes from the religious section and what I have seen as far as judging, so naturally I atribute it to religion, I am not judging anyone just an observation of mine. I have often been told by religious ladies that my views on homosexuality will land me in hell and demonic forces are driving me, this is what I mean.

Answer by older at 10:31 AM on Sep. 27, 2009