How much weight did you lose after delivery?

The day after - I had only lost 6lbs - but I had a 7lbs 10oz. baby! (??)
Then yesterday (exactly a week after) I had lost 16 - FAST!!!
Should I expect anymore fast weight loss like that? I'm VERY swollen, so I'm guessing water retention - I got some fluid pills...hopefully that will help.

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• This one is TMI so if you're squeamish, you probably shouldn't read it. The day after delivery, I was almost 30 pounds lighter. That's not a misprint. I was 30 lbs. down immediately after delivery. My baby girl was 9 lbs. 7 ounces, my amniotic fluid can account for at least 2 pounds (I had a lot of water!), then there was my placenta (HUGE! around 8 lbs.). Blood loss, bowel movements (yep, I pooped during labor, many times), and fat metabolized to make colostrum / breast milk and to power my body through labor (I didn't eat anything for over 24 hours) can account for anoter 5 - 7 lbs. After that first week postpartum, though, I've only lost 10 lbs. I gave birth 6 months ago! Apparently, I'm the only breastfeeding woman on the planet who didn't lose any weight while nursing. :)

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I gained 30 lbs exactly during pregnancy. Right after delivery I lost 12 pounds! My son was a big baby and the placenta was heavy also, and I lost a lot of water weight. In the 30 days after I had my son, my mom took care of me and I only ate fresh fruits and veggies and very lean meat and I lost 18 more lbs! It was great. I did not expect to have so much luck so fast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I lost 28lbs within 2 weeks of delivery and I'm up to 50 now and it has been 7 months.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i lost 20 pounds in he first week my son was 8lbs 3 oz and i lost the other 10 after another week....so i lost all my preggo weight
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I lost a measly 10 pounds. My son weighed 10.4! But I have lost about 85 lbs since I was pregnant through weight watchers and breastfeeding
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 10:19 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Wow, some of you sound so lucky. I am a 5'2" woman, my average weight is 120 lbs. In both my pregnacies I gained an awful lot of weight, 1st preg. 60lbs.(I lost it all before I got preg. again)2nd preg. 50lbs. I still need to loose about 5 lbs. and my baby is a year old. My body just seems to hoard calories as soon as I get preg! I generally don't have any weight problems otherwise. Anyway, I lost 20-22 lbs. right after birth, then it slowed right down, & I had to work to get the rest of it off. Breastfeeding did not help me lose either.
    RuthsPlace

Answer by RuthsPlace at 10:27 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I don't remember how much I lost but I pretty much lost all my weight before I left the hospital. Hopefully that will happen the second time around!!!
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Well, I'm just freaky I guess. lol I lost weight my whole pregnancy (just a pound here and there). My midwife said not to worry since it wasn't an excessive amount.  I was excited to know that I would deliver at around the same weight I started out at, if not a little lighter.  Well, then I had him and the weight just came in droves. I gained a good 50 lbs within the first year of having him.  :(

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• you will lose more, but since all the weight comes off so fast be ready for your body to weird out on you. we gain so much back later because we go into starvation mode because our baodies are like"hey why is all this happening so fast?" and btw...who told you to take water pills? if not doc then dont take them...can be very dangerous to your kidneys, especially after birth. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:46 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i lost 23lbs right after both times...lol but i gained 60 the first time and 40 the second.
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 27, 2009