Starting potty training at 8 months??? My fiance thinks I am nuts!

Since my DD started crawling a few days ago I broke out the potty chair.

Apparently, once a baby can crawl that means that they have the ability to control their bowel and bladder.

I have been putting her on the potty chair for a minute or two at specific points through the day. She has urinated three times on the potty and yeah we do celebrate, but if she does not go... I just don't say anything.

She watches Elmo's potty training video (She picks it out). I am not actually trying to potty train her, I am trying to get her used to the idea so when she becomes of potty training age, it may be much easier.

Am I being too pushy? Have you done this? Do you see any bad or good come out of this? Please I am open to your honest opinions/suggestions My fiance is really thinking I am nuts right about now!

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 10:04 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well I've never done it that early but hey you never know. I used to work at a daycare and there was a girl in the 1 year old class that was already potty trained. I don't think theres anything wrong with you getting her used to the idea, my youngest is 9 months and I know it would not work for us but every child is different. You said you weren't being pushy which is good so as long as you don't make it a task for her than I think it's fine.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• its too early ..potty training is for kids who know they are wet or dirty. they show an interest in the toilet.i think you should let our baby be a baby & train her later. just my opinion, by the way i'm a mom of four. i disagree i don't think crawling means a child can control their bladder. if your baby isn't screaming/ crying your probably not hurting her, but come on shes 8 months.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:11 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i think it is WAY TOO EARLY to start potty training- i would like to see your resources about the corelation between crawling and being able to hold/control bowel and bladder.

So, here are the top 10 signs that your toddler is ready to master the potty:
    She's able to walk well on her own, and can pull down her own pants (elastic waistbands are good for this) and diaper.

She shows that she's aware of what's going on in her diaper-- either by saying something like "poo" or by looking uncomfortable when her diaper is full, or pausing in her playing.

She's interested in what you do in the bathroom, coming in to watch from time to time. She might help to flush, or wave "bye, bye" to the departing poop.

Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• cont...
    She's not completely caught up in needing to say "no" to everything you suggest (the automatic "no" stage is usually between about 18 and 30 months.)

She has tried to sit on the potty, with her pants and diaper on, and doesn't seem to mind it. She feels "friendly" towards "her" potty.

She understands when you ask, in a mildly interested way, "Do you need to use the potty?"

She's fascinated by putting things into containers (blocks into the box, pouring sand or water in and out of a bucket.)

She feels proud when she can do something "all by myself."

Her diaper is dry and clean often for a couple of hours at least.

She's interested in "big girl underpants."
    Loa1002

• Wow you sure have put the rush on things! There's no way your 8 month old is even close to showing you he/she's ready to start potty training, much less sit on a little toilet!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Thanks for the honest input so far as good arguements are being raised. The bowel and bladder info I simply remember from my child development class. I remember it vividly because the information shocked me.

A little more info, I potty trained myself at 14 months. My parents bought me a potty and apparently they never even had to work with me, I just started using it.

My daughter Ellie hates being wet or having feces in her diaper. She rarely cries but once she has a BM she cries and creeps, well now crawl, over to the changing table.

I am not actually potty training her, just getting her used to the idea.... I think.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 10:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• try when she is 2 or older, some kids are not ready until they are 3 or 4
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 10:24 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• That is WAY to early
    Kids dont usually start that til they are 2 .
    Why rush it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with introducing the potty, and helping her understand what it is for, but I wouldn't expect any real potty training. (though you seem to understand this)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• You are nuts!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Sep. 27, 2009