Do you check your child's homework? If not, why not?

Since school has started back, I have seen nothing but complaints about how the teacher says their child is not turning in their homework. Come to find out the child has stashed the homework page that has not even been touched either in their desk or in their backpack. Then the parents want to complain to the teacher that their child's grade is low. Seriously?!?! As a parent, do you not check your child's homework to 1). Make sure it has been done, 2) Make sure that they didn't make any mistakes. And for the parents who say that their child told them that their teacher doesn't give them homework- um, yeah, okay. Most teachers that I know will send out a paper at the beginning of the school year to let the parents know about their homework policy and whether or not they give homework. Parents, Please be a responsible parent and check your child's homework! This will let you know how your child is doing in school!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in

• Yes, we have to check my stem sons homework and he is only in kindergarten. He has nightly homework and we have to initial that we worked with him and reviewed his work. One night we had to run our daughter to the ER and could not do his homework with him. We got a scolding letter from the teacher the very next day!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 10:13 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I don't always check my 4th grader's homework and she doesn't always bring it all home, doesn't always do it all, etc. She is 9 and can be responsible for her own work. But, I also don't complain about her grade. In fact I was a bit peeved to get her progress report and find she had 5 As and 2 Bs despite not doing all her homework and failing a science test. I think they are being to lax on her and her grades should be lower for turning in late work and talking in class. She needs to learn there are consequences for not do her school work but the teachers keep giving them more and more chances so she thinks it doesn't matter if she turns her work in on time if the teachers aren't really going to do anything about it.
    For my 1st and 2nd graders either me or my husband does their homework with them because they both need help with reading still.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Yes we check her homework, both for completion and accuracy, our school sends the kids a planner and every day they have to write their homework in it and the parent has to sign it, we dont sign our dd's until we have seen and reviewed (if its spelling owrds or a reading assignment) everything. it helps to have that planner. And bringing the completed planner with signature is part of the homework grade so if she forgets it or forgets ot have us sign it (which does happen onoccasion when we get busy or had a lot of stuff going on that night) then she loses a few points in her homework grade at school. it works and it helps keep her focused too. and we also review school work when it comes home so i can see if she just made a mistake or if she is struggling to understand the work. Parents need to be involved in every aspect of their kids education as much as possible!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 10:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My DD is in pre-k so her homework is like coloring the letter A and she likes to color so I know she is doing it and she sits at the table and does it when she gets home b4 she gets her snack and she has to have it done b4 Icarly comes on. she she gets too it.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• yes i have two kids in school a 1st grader and a 6th grader. For my 1st grader I help with her homework. My 6th grader does it on her own, unless asks for help.. I do ask them both if they have homework and I do remind them to turn it in on time. Also when they bring school work home I go over it with them to help prevent mistakes in the future. Also to say good job if they did good or are improving. They both get very good grades. To justanotherjen: I think you should have some sort of discipline for when your child doesn't turn homework in on time. Like for my kids they lose all privileges for a day or until they do turn in their homework in & they must turn it in, even if they won't get credit because it was late. Also I would talk to the teachers.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:36 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Yes I do. My son comes home with a sheet stating what his homework is for M-F. So I know what he should be doing. If he doesn't come home with it, I will contact his teacher. If my son forgets to bring home his homework he will have to make it up.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I always check to make shore they understand it , have it , and If its right. We have study time I'm in collage so we have a 2 hour study time no TV or play during this time it works out great I can get my work down and help them with there's. My oldest our HonorRoll students in the 4th nad 2nd grade and is excellent readers.

lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• As a teacher I expect parents to supervise and make sure the homework is done. But I really don't want parents checking over every single answer or sitting with the kids when they do it. I teach fourth grade and at that age most kids should be doing homework on their own.

I wish all parents were responsible about supervising theirkids at at home. It's just as much about teaching priorities is it is about academics.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My kids are not in school. But when they are, I do not plan on checking their homework. I will makesure it's done but will not check it for correctness. When I was in school, my mother would check my work and when I went to school, it was all right. But then the teacher never knew where my weaknesses lied and couldn't give me the help I needed... So when I failed the test she couldn't understand why. I think it's important that the teacher knows where the strengths and weaknesses lie for each child and the class in general. Checking their homework stops this from happening.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Also, I am not a supporter of homework. I don't believe they should even be permited to give it. I mean really, you don't bring work home, why should school work be different?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2009